Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: maybe sheep ?  (Read 2110 times)

MR C CHICKS

• Joined Nov 2009
maybe sheep ?
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:13 pm »
A couple of friends of mine and i have just rented a small field, nearly an acre to keep some animals on. After keeping chickens,ducks,turkeys etc we have also wanted to try pigs. We are close to getting our first pigs(only 3 ) and are now thinking maybe we could have a few sheep aswell. Have no experience with sheep and will do some research but was woundering are sheep easy to keep? Are thinking of only a few and would be only keeping them for food to start with.Any advise on how to start,breeds to look for,feeds etc would be fantastic

Re: maybe sheep ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:00:14 pm »
Hi,

In my opinion sheep are the most difficult of animals to look after.....

Regular Hoof Trimming, Preventing Fly-Strike in Summer, Vaccinations, Shearing, worming, Blue-Tongue vaccinations etc. and after all that, if they wake up one morning and decide to die - then they will!

But at the end of the day a freezer full of lamb is nice.

If they are purely for their meat - My advice, and Im sure others have their own opinions, is to stick with commercial breeds and avoid the rare breeds. We have a mixed flock of commercials and Southdowns - The commercials give a far better meat return - Something like a texal / mule cross gives a good carcas.

Just my opinion - Im sure others will have theirs  :)

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

bib

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Black Isle
    • Black Isle Birds
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »
Hi Mr Chick - but the rare breeds can be easier to look after than the commercials - better feet, much easier lambing - no having to pull lambs out! - and the meat is yummier, with less fat, even tho' smaller ....  And they look so lovely !  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
bib

www.blackislebirds.co.uk

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
Hi Bib     nice site - love the pics

bib

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Black Isle
    • Black Isle Birds
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »
 - hi countrygirl & thanks a lot!  Site seems to take a year or so to upload, so I'm a bit behind  with the photos  ... I will be so happy when there's a pic of a house there too .... 3 months of unrelenting arctic conditions and about 3 years of planners etc before that mean Im still a gypsy .. Rhona

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS