Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: gate on my property  (Read 2241 times)

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
gate on my property
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »
 :thinking: :thinking: Hi, Has anybody had any dealings with having to get planning permission for extra gates on their property?
I have a neighbour who uses my property to get to theirs, after a few near misses with my kids and dogs I have put a further gate on my courtyard to slow traffic down. The neighbours are refusing to shut the gate and leave it secure. They say they only have to open and close one! Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:02:18 am by Dan »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: gate on my property
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:03:36 pm »
I think the only time you need planning permission is if the gate opens on to a public highway, and then it cannot open outwards?  Even if you got planning for the new gate, I cannot see how that would make your neighbour close it, though.  Have you explained that its for the safety of your children and dogs?  I am sure they would not want an accident to happen through their not closing the gate.  One of our neighbours has put a sign up saying shut and fasten the gate by order .....but as to what the legal standing is, I don't know.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:01:33 pm »
If I understand you correctly, the reason for the gate is to SLOW the traffic down? If a gate dosn't work by reason of non co-operation by the neighbour, I would consider traffic CALMING, i.e. put in an unavoidable speed hump  ;D . But, to safeguard against any possible claims for damage or injury, it would be prudent to put up a sign - 'Warning, speed hump' that is clearly visible from both directions. I would also pen a polite note to the neighbours (keep a copy) informing them of the presence of the speed hump - so they can't say they havn't been told.
This may however cause a deterioration of neighbourly relations - be warned! :innocent:

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:15:16 am »
keep patiently closing it after them, hang a sign saying 'please close the gate children playing',
 eventually they might get it or not....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS