Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my dream farm  (Read 10783 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
my dream farm
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:00 pm »
has anyone watched the series monty don has just finished on tele 'my dream farm'
it was fab i thought really inspiring as he was a very hands on practical guy.
i mean he encouraged people to be as in one with their land as much as possible to make
their dream come true regardless the size of it.
and i loved his honesty with them if he didnt think that they were cut out to be farmers he
told them so with their best intentions.
i wonder what he would say to me!!!
Langdon ;)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: my dream farm
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:44:55 pm »
i had to stop watching it, i got far to jealous  ;D  ;D

My dreams of pigs or sheep are kinda dashed, the space that i had "marked" is now one of dads numerous works shops  >:(

and....

i'm loosing space for some of my chooks because of the house getting extended  :(

its not fair  ;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »
that is deff not fair, surely they can see YOUR love for the land.
stand your ground mark your spot you gota do something to keep YOUR dream alive.
remind them of the lush eggs for breakfast, lush milk from the goats and what have you.
its sad really that your forced out >:(
Langdon ;)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:28 pm »
I'm working on it  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »
good for you Cameron! It would be sad for a young farmer to be shoved out for something as trival as a bigger house or workshop!!!
Yes, I watched MDF when I remembered.. theres another thread on it somewhere....
Little Blue

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
what about the guy that knocked down his kitchen? :D :D :D :D

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »
Personally, I found the Monty Don series irritating...made smallholders look like a bunch of idiots with very little common sense and no idea of what they were doing...I usually like Monty Don, but I thought he was patronising...only my opinion, I'm sure others wouldn't agree.

Farmer,  :farmer:

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:59:50 pm »
I thought he was patronising...e.

I like the series, but have to agree with you he was patronising.

Would have been nice to have seen a least a couple of half decent smallholders to balance off the "good life" er's

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:06:59 pm »
made smallholders look like a bunch of idiots with very little common sense and no idea of what they were doing
The ones shown were!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 09:38:33 am »
That's my point Annie...many 'Farmers' and other members of the wider public are already dismissive of smallholders...a programme that appears to confirm their suspicions that we are all mainly a load of bumbling amatures is untrue, unfair and not a balanced reflection of those of us who have chosen a lifestyle which has more to do with caring for the environment, the animals we keep and being self sufficient rather than being commercially driven. This type of programme does us no favours at all!

Yes, we all have to learn a great many new things when we choose this lifestyle...and we make many mistakes along the way...but for the most part its our determination and self belief in what we are doing that drives us on...not the hope of being millionaires. A programme showing all the hoops and bureaucracy we have to battle with and how we are financially challenged because we don't qualify for many grants, subsidies and other forms of bulk buying discounts that are enjoyed by 'commercial farmers' would have been more truthful...couple that with an insight into the satisfaction and privilege of being self sufficient in a world driven by commerce and you would have something worth watching. Its very easy to point out the failings of others when you have a lucrative TV contract and a persona that ensures you get privileged treatment...we don't have that advantage!

Sorry for the rant...I'm just disillusioned by 'real life' TV documentaries that only show the bad elements of people.

Farmer,  :farmer:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:24:58 pm by Farmer »

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »
lol what a header ;D ;D ;D
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 02:33:22 pm »
Exactly the same thing happened with that BBC 1 programme - pedigree dogs exposed.  Very few people interviewed, cuts all over the place, people taken off their guard, and a distinct and controlled bias.  However, it did speed up some of the planned changes the KC already had in the pipeline, so some good came of it.  I don't think this programme has done the same.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 03:09:54 pm »
I'm not really in this post but I know That the whole trouble arises from the them and us clique "E" sode is ouse in the smoke and come down here to live in the country "E" thinks cocks don't crow pig muck shouldn't smell Tractors shouldn't hold im up on his way up to the nearest access to the motorway to take er shoppin need I go on.This of course leads to every one not a yokel being tarred by the same brush.This as you know is not right a lot of people know an awful lot and more than some country folk and it all comes down to this awful word Jealousy Why should "E" come down ere chuckin is muney abht "E" paid twice nay 3 times for Jim's cottage now my ode boy and his intended can't afford it.and on it goes to lap two.I haven't a cure but I will say if "E" offered me 220,000 quid for my house that I know should only fetch £68k guess who is going to get it.You're right I'm a Ba----d and have papers to prove it or shall have when "E" pays me :D ;D Not funny I know but its true and as I said elsewhere Monty wants to stick to gardening.Make room for someone who knows what he's talking about in Smallholding Another thing said in my presence John Craven is one of the biggest enemy's of the country side and I agree but Does he get paid for reading and saying what the script writers have given him to read. :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »
to be honest that is what the programme was about, people who didnt have
a clue as in how to set up a smallholding successfully, so monty was brought in and again
to be honest with them if they were on the right track or not.
you know, we cant become proud can we? lets remember our first steps into this lifestyle, its not easy
and many people were not born into this lifestyle either.
as for me im only new to smallholding and have had more questions on ere than i have had hot dinners!!
questions that people like you might see the answer as obvious.
again to think of ourselves better in this game than others i think we are missing what it really is all about.
choosing to live a different lifestyle that benefits us and the enviroment around and if needed to help
those who have got less know how than us, im sure we all had to ask and learn from others in the past.
i thought the programme was fab as for me and my wife we were so encouraged and picked up a lot of tips and ideas
for our place.
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 06:24:21 pm »
Fair's fair, Wiz
Monty wants to stick to gardening.Make room for someone who knows what he's talking about in Smallholding

I think he should know what he's about,he comes from a farming background from 40 odd years back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS