Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Texel Ram needs a comrade - too much grass in paddock and he is getting FAT  (Read 4552 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Texel Ram 2 year old needs a comrade. He has been in a paddock over winter and now that the grass is starting to grow he is getting to fat with too much grass. I am thinking of buying a goat or putting a young ram lamb or 2 with him to keep him company and help eat grass but I'm not sure exactly what would be best to put with him. Would need to be something that wouldn't fight back or harm the ram. What about young bull calves?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
We keep a wether  with ours.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
shouldn't be by himself anyway .... sheep are flock  animals ,,,, needs to have another sheep for company .... a wether or two? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
As above and could you split the paddock or take a crop of hay?  If he packs fat around his abdomen it will impact fertility.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
Get him a treadmill :roflanim: sorry that's not very useful. you could try mowing the grass down and tight strip grazing. we got our ram a wether as a friend and they both ended up as fat as houses. 

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Thanks for the advice , greatly appreciated . I have 3 small calves and have put them with the ram. they seem to be getting on very well :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Welfare guidance is that all herd (and flock) animals should have company of their own species.

From the Animal Welfare Code,

4. freedom to express normal behaviour
- by providing sufficient space, proper
facilities and company of the animals’
own kind;
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire

Our ram is in the field with other sheep and cows but always chooses to stay with the cows. The only time he shows any interest in the sheep is at tupping time. If we move the cows he tries desperately to go with them (and normally does), if the cows come in he has to as well (slightly embarrassing explaining to the vet why the tup is in for TB testing) they even escape together!

When the cows are away for any period of time the greeting he gives them on return is heartfelt and hilarious!

I'm sure he's not normal though and would always offer company of their own kind also.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
What a picture you describe, Sbom!  :roflanim:

Well, we always say, the animals don't read the books..  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
thanks for the replies folks. He's happy in the mean time :)
Sorry for the low quality render of the pic :(

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Love the photo :cow: :sheep: :cow: !

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Brilliant photo!!!

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Excellent photo - really made me laugh!
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Well I never  ::)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Sheep: " right guys: time for your elocution lesson. Say after me:"Baaaaaaa" "
 :sunshine:
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS