Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore hooves in my anglo nubians  (Read 6438 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sore hooves in my anglo nubians
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
If these were mine I would cut out the concentrate completely. Then lots of branches (willow, hazel, willowherb, some ash - not too much, makes them loose, beech etc) and do they go out to graze into a field with good grass? Hay racks full o/night. Red Rockie licks for minerals. Some fruit/veg as evening treats. Nothing else and monitor if their feet improve. Have you got the possibility to weigh them?

Laminitis aside, if their feet smell you have got footrot/scald, probably both. So that needs treating with a footbath and AB's probably. No idea what treatment for laminitis would be.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »
I have a rescue AN who had 3 horrendous feet when she came...just 1 now that comes and goes with persistence. .. when it's  wet in the cleats i use powdered rosemary....she'd  do better if she didn't  constantly have poop slippers...never known a goat like it!! 20 mins after I did her feet the other week.... :rant:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »
I don't give any concentrates to my dry goat and despite this she has put on quite a bit of weight in the last couple of months! She is quite chubby at the moment almost entirely on forage (they all have access to hay).

I had a goat with laminitis (AN cross). She had come to me very thin and I unfortunately allowed her to put on a bit too much weight. She got a lot better on a strict diet of no concentrates and no treats. She also had anti-inflammatories from the vet. Interestingly the thing that completely sorted her was allowing her to get in kid and she has been great since. A friend recommended it as it had always worked with her pony.
If it is just 1 hoof and a bit smelly sounds more like scald than laminitis in my limited experience. Laminitis usually starts in the front feet then progresses to all 4.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS