Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore hooves in my anglo nubians  (Read 6439 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Sore hooves in my anglo nubians
« on: June 16, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been having problems with my AN's feet for months now...

Started with 'an infection' back in October... it was wet and they were out on grass and it came on a couple of weeks after I had hoof trimmed.

She started limping, and when I investigated her foot was a little hot and smelly. Vet came out and said it was infected. Antibiotics injection and a spray. (Long story but through limping she strained tendon in other knee - cue many vet visits and x-rays and in the end a huge, huge bill).

Anyway. Since that time her hoof has never quite become right, she always seems a bit ginger on it. And my second goat has had similar problems.

So - I have kept them dry, changed their bedding / stable situation so much drier (changing every day, instead of the deep litter approach). Trimmed hooves often, but still they are limpy... and vet seems a bit at sea. We have been adding asprin to their water (prescribed) and spraying hooves still, and occasional antibiotic jab or painkiller. But it seems to be ongoing...

So - I have just ordered some Golden Hoof Plus to try foot bathing, and I am trying to get hold of some Brinicombe's Goat Balancer (left a message) to see if these two things help help.

Has anyone else got any more ideas.

Their feet are often a little bit whiffy, but no obvious signs of infection or 'cheesiness'. But I am thinking there must be some infection still though. And maybe bruised soles....?

It's just that it's going on and on.. and I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance, anyone..

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Sore hooves in my anglo nubians
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:17 pm »
on top of the footrot they had could be laminitis some family lines are prone to it

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »
I have used "Lameless" on some repeat offender sheep, but never had a lame goat (so far).

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
I have had ongoing problems with my AN's feet and scald. Much as you describe, sore and wiffy and very ginger walking on it. With scald the hoof is generally pretty normal but they get infection of the skin between their hooves (hence the official name of interdigital dermatitis). Golden hoof is the stuff I have used and it is brilliant. They are better the following day. It does however recur and I have come to accept that as I have limited space (only a couple of acres) and they are on the same ground and therefore get reinfected and therefore, particularly over winter and wet weather, it is going to be a case of control rather than eradication.

i have had a problem with one of my other goats who developed laminitis. She appeared sore but quite different from those with scald. Front feet rather then back which seem to be more of a problem in mine with scald. Hot and sore (especially round the coronal band) but not at all smelly.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »
I would also think maybe laminitis. What are they eating?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
Yep sounds like laminitis to me as well ,last October was unusually warm, wet and the grass grew like it did in spring !!!

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:32:01 pm »
thanks so much for feedback... hmm, laminitis... Hadn't really thought about that. They both have D & H goat mix, two small mugs full each in the evening, one small mug in the morning. Sometimes they have a bit of apple or banana, and I give them Rich Tea biscuits or Cream Crackers as treats.

They are both three years old and just pets so haven't kidded, although I am hoping I might talk other half into it this year.

Also they are not eating much hay. The stuff we have isn't that nice or sweet smelling but other half has argued they don't need it anyway in the summer... Should I just go ahead and try to source some?

I'd be really grateful if you could advise me on any of this. I had wondered about the A & P goat mix for dry goats?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:29 pm »
Sorry to hear about your goats. Don't have any experience with ANs but willow is supposed to be good analgesic (paracetamol) so you could try some of that.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:52 pm »
If long term lameness has been present I certainly wouldn't be thinking of breeding from them  for 2 major reasons . 1st any increase I weight will not be good fir poorly legs/ feet ! 2nd as your not sure of the cause breeding from lame stock could lead to kidds with similar issues . This is the unfortunate reality of goats !!!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 11:25:34 pm »
If they are pets they probably need little in the way of hard feed. When mine retired, no longer milking, I fed them about  a 1/4 lb of hard feed once a day and they still looked like milkers weight wise. Most people have hay available for their goats all year because if they don't do rain they need something when they come in out of the wet stuff. Goats do prefer sweet smelling meadow type, or at least mine did, with a good mix of grasses and other interesting bits , but if they're eating it, don't worry.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:49:01 am »
It does sound like quite a lot of food for unproductive beasties. Maybe worth checking if it contains molasses
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:31:46 am »
At this time of year dry goats will NOT need any concentrate, especially if they are older than 2 and have never kidded. (Growing goatlings should still get some concentrate.) Grass, branches and other greenery/veg should be enough with access to ad-lib hay. In winter my dry goats only get a handful of soaked sugar beet shreds with some oats mixed in plus carrots, apples and other fruit/veg. Also some readigrass, but not much.

From your feeding regime - if you want to kid these girls, they will need a good diet beforehand.

Also lameness definitely sounds like laminitis from that.

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 11:46:04 am »
Gosh - right. I really hadn't realised. It seems like such a small amount for such big animals, but obviously I will review this now. I feel really awful. And I think the D&H goatmix has molasses in - it's quite sweet.

I will do some research.

Off top of my head I am thinking, reducing concentrate to just a couple of tablespoons and swapping to the A&P for 'dry goats'?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 01:36:37 pm »
Don't feel awful. Feeding is very specific to your animals and your situation and what works for one person and their herd will not work for another. Also within the herd the goats will vary as to their needs. You don't need to feed a specific goat mix. As long as you have mineral supplementation for them you could give them some sugar beet, alfalfa chaff etc.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been having problems with my AN's feet for months now...

Started with 'an infection' back in October... it was wet and they were out on grass and it came on a couple of weeks after I had hoof trimmed.

She started limping, and when I investigated her foot was a little hot and smelly. Vet came out and said it was infected. Antibiotics injection and a spray. (Long story but through limping she strained tendon in other knee - cue many vet visits and x-rays and in the end a huge, huge bill).

Anyway. Since that time her hoof has never quite become right, she always seems a bit ginger on it. And my second goat has had similar problems.

So - I have kept them dry, changed their bedding / stable situation so much drier (changing every day, instead of the deep litter approach). Trimmed hooves often, but still they are limpy... and vet seems a bit at sea. We have been adding asprin to their water (prescribed) and spraying hooves still, and occasional antibiotic jab or painkiller. But it seems to be ongoing...

So - I have just ordered some Golden Hoof Plus to try foot bathing, and I am trying to get hold of some Brinicombe's Goat Balancer (left a message) to see if these two things help help.

Has anyone else got any more ideas.

Their feet are often a little bit whiffy, but no obvious signs of infection or 'cheesiness'. But I am thinking there must be some infection still though. And maybe bruised soles....?

It's just that it's going on and on.. and I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance, anyone..
Could it be scald?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS