Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicks -v- Rats??  (Read 2213 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Chicks -v- Rats??
« on: June 13, 2015, 08:43:55 pm »
My 11 chicks are now  4 weeks old. They are Laced Wyandottes and Cream Legbars and they are all a  good size and quite well feathered. They are feisty little demons too.
They spent the first 3 weeks indoors. Then the last 8 days in a bigger secure brooder in a stable. They have had their heat on at night but not in the day and all's well. I expected them to stay in that brooder until they were about 6 wks old but they are too big and it was clear that they didn't have enough room as they started to fight a bit.
Are they old enough to go into the stable itself? We have sectioned off an area about 12ft by 4ft for them. Its a concrete floor with shavings on top but I cant be certain that its rat proof as our stables are wooden. I haven't seen a rat since November and we have 3 stable cats ( they cant get at the chicks!) but I cant be sure. I can still give them heat. What do you think?
Is it time to retire yet?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Chicks -v- Rats??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »
Seen any rat droppings at all? Any gaps?

If not, then it's probably ok.  :)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:01:46 am »
Hi Eve,
not seen any droppings either ( Im an obsessive rat-spotter as I abs loath them and am quite scared of them too). No gaps in the stable walls either and the floors are sound.
I think I might just have to take the plunge and keep everything crossed  :fc:
Is it time to retire yet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »
I couldn't think how rats were getting in my brick built concrete floored garage till I saw the dogs pointing upwards  - saw one run along the rafters and out under the eaves.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »
This is my mental image.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:47 pm »
Yup, "just like that"  :innocent: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 10:25:25 pm »
Can you leave a light on overnight? I've found this quite effective for reducing rat attacks as poultry see poorly in the dark whilst rats see just fine.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »
Also move stuff around - rats hate change - that's why you can see 'rat runs' they always go the same way.  It discourages them.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 10:37:36 pm »
Plus get them to roost? Rats will be after the food first. Maybe sacrifice some food to them and set some chick proof traps as well?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS