Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: STOCK UP!!  (Read 3768 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
STOCK UP!!
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:35 pm »
COULD NOT BELLIEVE MY LUCK TODAY WHEN I WAS ON ME WAY TO PICK UP A BALE OF STRAW.
NOT A FEW HUNDRED YARDS DOWN THE LANE WHEN I COULD LOADS AND I MEAN LOADS OF STRAW
IN THE HEDGE BY THE ROAD SIDE.
I KNEW STRAIGHT AWAY WHAT HAD HAPPENED, DAVE THE FARMER NEXT DOOR HAD A LOAD DELIVERED
TO HIM TODAY AND AGAIN THE GUY HIT THE TREE TOPS SENDING BRANCHES ALL OVER THE PLACE
PLUS THE STRAW. WELL I SAID SHOULD OR SHOULDNT I THAT WAS THE QUESTION!!
BEFORE I KNEW IT I HAD THE JEEP IN REVERSE AND BACK I WENT.
I OPENED THE BOOT DOOR AND STARTED TO LOAD IT IN.
NEXT ONE OF DAVES WORKERS WAS UP WITH A TRACTOR, I THOUGHT OH NO ERE WE GO.
TO MY SURPRISE HE SAID DO I WANT MOST OF IT SINCE I WAS MAKING THE EFFORT ANYWAY!!!!!!
HE JUST TOOK A LITTLE AND LEFT THE REST TO ME, IM NOT JOKING THERE WAS 2-3 BALES THERE ALL LOOSE.
I HAD ALL THE SEATS FLAT IN THE JEEP EVEN IN THE FRONT I HAD PACKED THE STRAW IN!!
OUR POST MAN STOPPED AND EGGED ME ON! BY THE WAY I STILL WENT AND BOUGHT THE BALE AND LATER TOOK HOME THE BRANCHES
FOR OUR GOATS. WASTE NOT WANT NOT AND OH YA I FOUND A DECENT BIT OF FARMERS FRIEND TOO ;)

F
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: STOCK UP!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:06 pm »
Well done for paying for it. ;)  You're farmer friend reduced the price I hope since it was loose and you tidied up the lane for him?

Thanks to Sandy & Steve I've found a cheap place for square bales - £2.50 each and as many as  want.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:16:57 pm »
That was a good find!!

A lot do not realise they have shed their bales.  My ponies were staring up in the air one night.  I stared too, and then saw one of the big long hessian bales of straw stuck up a tree by our single track lane.  I soon had my OH along with a long pole and the landrover to load it into.

One day, our friend who has no animals was driving home from work, and in the middle of the road he spotted something.  He has no idea what livestock eat, but realised it was definitely for animals.  He loaded it into the boot of his nice car,  and brought it round.  He opened the boot, and said is this of any use?  Oh yes, it was!!  A bale of hay, a  bale of straw, and a large bag of shavings!!!  Obviously fell off the back of a lorry, or pick up.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:28 am »
Hello Roxy I have heard of things falling off the backs of lorries but not like that its usually more Arthur Daley and the likes.Good find that.Did you see on your TV about a month ago the road from Middle Rasen to Caenby Corner was closed?A lorry shed a load of Heston type bales in West Rasen and they spent all morning clearing them up.Its was a big detour to get round the blockage. ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »
That's lucky! Waste not, want not, definitely, although I'd draw the line at roadkill  :P

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
Depends on the sight of it I have had one or more pheasants.last one I put in the back of Su and it came round and tried to get out I had to stop it was a danger bugger me I stopped and opened the tail gate to get it and off it flew wasn't he a lucky boy then :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:20 pm »
oh ya thats where i draw the line too
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »
That's lucky! Waste not, want not, definitely, although I'd draw the line at roadkill  :P
nothing wrong with roadkill if it's fresh - like the car in front - the dogs get the chewy bits, I eat the breast, the wings are tied round dummies for retrieving practice. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS