Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: straw and hay  (Read 2721 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
straw and hay
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »
forgive me guys for asking this question which the answer might be obvious to alot of you,
but to a new guy like me self i dont have a clue!
the question is how long will a bale of straw and hay last when kept under the right conditions.
gratefull for any replys. ;)
Langdon ;)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: straw and hay
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »
Hi Langdon...they build houses out of straw bales, so I guess the answer is indefinitely...for feeding/bedding purposes I would suggest you buy nothing later than the previous season...avoids too much dust build up and is still o.k. for the animals to eat...others might disagree, but that's my policy.

farmer,  :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
I think for food purposes a year much like human food When the new is ready start to use it and use the old as bedding you will find the animals pick the nice bits out of the bedding although you have put fresh in the heck
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »
Well, for horses, old hay is better.  I never feed them that summers hay until after Christmas, if I can manage it.

Hay especially, goes dusty.  But if you have any left from this year, its quite allright to use next winter.  Just make sure its stored in a dry place, away from damp floors, and walls.  Straw, I find keeps better, and you can keep that longer without a problem.

I tend to feed the goats haylage off the horses big bale.  The goats love it, and the llama does too.

If you were nearer, I would let you have some to see what your goats thought.  I would post it, but not a good idea, it would not go down well with the postmen.  That reminds me, my friend kept her ponies in her stable in the garden, and the neighbours complained of the smell of the haylage.She got a letter from the council.  What did she do?  Posted a wedge to the council man and told him he could see for himself that the smell was not horrible.  Imagine his face when a pile of haylage fell out onto his desk!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:24:38 am »
Hello Just came into my mind its only a small mind so I can easy change it and do often.Things that get some people going.I find mucking out the crew yard a delightfull smell.Why well what its going to turn into when its rotted down for a season and ploughed in.Can you visualise those lovely vegetables or see the gentle breeze rolling the green unripe corn in the field like waves at the sea side.No Well you want looking at and seeing to cos you've no imagination :D :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS