Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What you lot doing here!!!  (Read 4335 times)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: What you lot doing here!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 10:52:51 am »
Yes we have 13 breeding ewes and 6 youngsters to breed next year. We lamb in May up here but you can guarantee it will rain when lambing.Our Shetlands are all white and are flock book registered but we dont really bother with that as you have to be one of the big breeders with a good reputation to get money for them. We just breed for our own meat really and a few gifts for neighbours. We dont have a ram, they are only a crate of beer to hire so why keep them all year for a fortnights worth of work. ::) Hermit

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 09:44:57 pm »
Wouldnt get a Shetland tup for a crate that around here, not enough in the Scottish Borders.... but I guess you have a few more up where you are.... 

Mine are white too, have two registered breeding ewes (only one of them in lamb though), two unregistered (they have come down from Shetland and are bigger than the registered ones, hopefully both of them in lamb) and then 4 lambs for this years breeding. My tup came down from Shetland too, but again before I got him. He's registered, but I'll have to find a replacement for his daughters this year...

Have got some bigger cross ewes too, and find that TXl Shetland crosses make good lambers and are a reasonable size (= manageable).

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »

Anke if you are looking for a Shetland Tup for next year try Joe Burn at Crumstane Farm Duns. I had one of his last year which I sent back this October and I now have another one which he has told me just to keep.

Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
Thanks, Daisys mum I have (hopefully) a tup lamb lined up from a lady in WEst Linton where my sheep originally came from, but might keep Joe Burn in mind.

I would be looking for a few registered gimmers this summer though, just as my two old girls are being retired and looking for bit of new blood... So Erik will have a go on any incomers and my commercial girls and a new guy for this years lambs...

But what I am looking for is a Charrolais tup lamb for my larger crosses... will post something about that in the sheep section though.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:52 pm »
HI hermit
I like the meeting up with old friends bit - its almost like a real coffee lounge -  :)
kirsty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 08:09:42 am »
Hello Mari I agree ace isn't it.And no I'm perfect on here.I hope they don't find us :D :D :D ;D ;D ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS