Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wether with infected pizzle  (Read 2511 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Wether with infected pizzle
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »
Sorry if you've just had your lunch! I had my sheep shorn on Saturday and the shearer found one of my GFD wethers has an infected pizzle, presumably caused by urine-soaked wool around the area. He was very, very woolly. My other GFD wether is OK. Shearer removed the manky wool and sprayed him with antibacterial spray, but it did look sore and bloody.

It doesn't look too bad now, after a couple of days out in the fresh air, and he is peeing out of it OK. Obviously keeping an eye in case I need to call the vet for an antibiotic shot. I've sprayed purple spray on it, but wondered if there's anything else I can do for him that might stay on a bit longer? Sudocrem or nappy rash ointment?   :o Or best just to leave alone? Fortunately, he is stupidly docile and friendly, comes when called and will stand patiently when you need to do horrid things to him.  :hugsheep:

Any thought welcome, thank you.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Wether with infected pizzle
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:15:43 pm »
Might be an idea to put some Clik around the pizzle area?  Does he have a dry lie? 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:09 pm »
I had a wether with an pizzle injury - I just kept spraying it with Septicleanse until it started to seal over; took about a week or so. (He was left outside)  Like you say, keep an eye out for infection (I would probably give a shot of LA AB), and keep checking that he can pee okay.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:18:57 pm »
We had a Gotland cross with the same problem.  We sheared around it, cleaned thoroughly with non-sting antiseptic, sprayed with blue spray and Crovect, around but not on the penis or sheath.  We continued to watch and clean as necessary for a few days.  The cause was, as someone said, dribbly pee, which had stuck together in a browny mat, hardened then rubbed against the sheath, causing some infection.

Now, we always check our breeding rams around that area a month or so before they work (don't think the ewes would like such a thing used on them, and might be too painful for the tup to perform).  Also when judging or buying tups we check that bit carefully.  It's worth checking all your male sheep's penis and sheath every time you tip them, for feet etc.  Just the same as you check the udder of every ewe when she's sat on her bum.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:55:28 am »
Thanks all. Checked him today and it has formed a clean scab, no sign of blood or pus and he is still peeing ok (and let's face it, he doesn't need it for anything else!  ::) ). I've resolved that next winter I will keep the GFDs trimmed, including around pizzle area - they were carrying a ridiculous amount of wool - fleeces must have weighed over 15 kilos. The winter before last, when it was mild and very wet here, I clipped them twice because I was concerned about them getting cast - took me ages but I'm sure made them more comfortable.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »
Thank you for the reminder.
  I need to check the angora goat buck and wethers for the same problem.  I usually keep that area trimmed of fleece having had a problem before but as I trim their feet standing not tipping them it's easy to forget until it's too late.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS