Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Remember?  (Read 25753 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Remember?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:10 pm »
[quote ...it happened in the fifties and it was good to remember how nice folk could be to one another back then.

Farmer,  :farmer:
[/quote]

And still are now, just look at the nice people on this forum.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »
Well said HM...I bow to your observation...Another fond memory I have is walking two miles along the canal after school to a junction so that I could ride the canal horses back to the local gas works...I paid for my pleasure by bedding down the horses and fetching a flagon of ale for the bargee...I well remember the smell of bacon being cooked on a shovel by the resident Blacksmith/Farrier and the sing-alongs accompanied by an old chap playing a squeeze box accordion....oh happy days...innocent, safe and lost forever!!  :(

Farmer,  :farmer:

sandy

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
Helencus, we had a shed where we put on shows for money, I remember buying some penny chews and my mum made me give ALL the money back, the show was probably very poor anyway. My brother had a skiffle group,Lonney Donnagon type (for those purist who need correct spelling SORRY) My brother went on to back many interesting folk bands, and my c using still dose, I also was in a band.....Love music. It's true, things change and move on but I loved the fact we could be children, now, they have to mature too quick but stay static, having a prolonged teenage period, I was married at 21 whereas a lot of young people still like to have fun as a single person.......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:09 am »
There was only one kind of milk - not whole, semi-skimmed and skimmed - and the birds pecked holes in the caps and supped the cream before Mum could get out to take it in because the milk man came round so so early. As did the postie (my Daddy) - and he used to feed us on the gifts he got on his rounds, fish, eggs, veggies from folks gardens etc.  And Mum used to send us for a QUARTER (pound)of bacon for Dad's tea - can't remember what we ate but Dad got the bacon
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:58 am »
our milko used to have red top , silver top and gold top . Red top must have been semi skimmed , silver was just normal pasteurized and gold was full cream , then there was that disgusting gut wrenching stuff ...UHT with the metal bottle top .....to this day that still makes me heave .
 But also on the subject of the milkman , when I were a lad (the sound of the Hovis music plays gently in the background !!  ::)) ,eeee I remember it like it were yesterday  !!! well anyway, I remember trying to get some breakfast in the morning before going to school . I would say to mum , " can I have some cornflakes mum?" and mum would reply " no there isn't enough milk , there is only enough for the kids !!) , my instant reply was .." MUM , I AM ONE " " you know what I mean "  she would say . Well yes I did , but I was still only 11 . No matter ,I would fill my pockets  with corn flakes , and  on the way to school I would nick a pint of milk off of the milk float as I passed . Handfull of cornflakes , mouthfull of milk ... lovely stuff !!! I would even grab a yogurt and a pack of cheese sometimes too .... it was really good when the milko had the variety  packs of cereal .... rice crispies , sugar puffs , corn flakes , FROSTIES , those disgusting  co co pops  I used to sell to a mate at school ...he he he ...  great days ....The cheese I would eat throughout the day , but there was always loads left to take home for a midnight sarnie with some onion MMMmm .

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:36:22 am »
Rusty lets you and I start a new thread How disgusting eh Can I argue with you please.The tall bottle with the crown cap was Sterilized Homogenised Milk and it was definatly Tibetan Cow.There was another in Lincs with a Gold top Jersey Milk the cream you could see a third way down the bottle.The even worse stuff came later UHT in waxed card boxes uuuUUUhhhHHH! ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39:37 am »
Does anyone remember the Automated Milk Machines, where you could get a carton of ice cold milk rather than a fizzy drink?  I think they went out in the sixties, but surely they were much more healthy for you...

farmer,  :farmer:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:31 am »
don't remember them but I remember free school milk until Thatcher the milk snatcher got rid of it.. and much to many peoples (and mine) disgust I grew up in Bham (which was bad enough) and we had sterilized milk.. very big in the midlands in the 70s.. absolutely bloody disgusting. I only have to think about it and I retch...ugggghhhhh...

We were somewhat naughty as well and aften helped ourselves to a pint of pass as we called it.. (pasteurised) from the milk float on the way to school.. we called it humphreying.. do you remember the ads.. watch out watch out theres a humphrey about. Mom would have clipped us round the ears if she'd known.. ;D  Actually maybe kids today aint so bad sounds like a few of us were little tea leaves.. in a harmless way of course lol! :D

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
yes you are right George it was sterilized ....we never had it EVER !!! it was only a few of my mates had it ..I Know I could never drink tea in there houses because of it . The UHT stuff is just as bad ( if not, as you say George, worse !!), and brings about the same gut wrenching gag ......
 I remember the milk machines too ...could never afford the stuff though , all my money would go in poppets and chewettes machine ...Think that was what they were called....I had forgotten all about those .

cheers

Russ

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »
Anyone remember the sweets that are long gone?

I loved sweet tobacco, it was coconut shreds. Spangles? Sherbert dib dabs or a pennyworth of kalai in a paper twist that you dipped your finger in and it went red/blue etc.  ;D  oooh and old fashioned Victory V's  ;D ;D My nana used to feed me these and they used to contain ether and chloraform. H & S had nothing on us.lol

I remember going to the local bakery on the way home from school and buying day old cakes and buns a penny each.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:31:09 pm by Jackie »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 01:08:42 pm »
Yes I remember spangles! at a fancy dress competition once a boy in front of me was dressed as a King, he had spangles stuck to it as jewels, i picked them off and ate them! :o

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »
I still only drink pasteurised, unhomogenised milk (Gold top). Can't stand UHT, or anything else. My weakness though, is evaporated milk mmmmm...

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »
Whats that milk called that comes in tubes and can be spread on bread with sugar sprinkled on top?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
my mum used to eat condensed milk on bread with sugar .....yuk ....but that came in a tin ...I used to like it as it was, out of the tin , but not on bread or with sugar . Too sickly for me now though , as is . But I have used it in cooking often . I also like evaporated milk on fruit or apple pies etc , but not in coffee ....up chuck time then ....

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
Good this intit Such happy memory's even a clip round the ear makes me smile when I think back Yes farmer and Bowater Perga cartons of farm fresh milk .Jackie what ever happened to a ha'penny stick of liquorish and black jack that evil stuff liquorish root and Chinese cachoo's.Oh you OOOOty Dixie you.Yes a white tube and blue Nestle on it Full cream condensed milk If that didn't make you have bad teeth nothing would.Yes and the school milk was in 1/3 pints and a quiet falling out who was milk monitor this week Do you remember that MofF Concentrated Orange Juice even cod liver oil Its not bad as cod liver oil and malt I think thats why I hate FISH and how about Friars Balsam and paregoric oil  Vick's Vapour rub the list is endless intit? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS