Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Remember?  (Read 25666 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Remember?
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:37:25 pm »
WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER!!"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonald's , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy  Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd  films, 
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT 

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Remember?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:37:45 pm »
WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER!!"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Darn, just missed me then!   all too true though...
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:15 pm »
Must add:-
We always had lodgers
Mum did her washing in a gas boiler until buying the first Rolls Rapide
No tumble dryers
Lino until mum and dad bout Cyrle Loyd fitted carpets
We wore libberty bodices and vests
No central heating and old itchy blankets not quilts
Than Nylon sheets that caused static
Black and white TV and constant cowboy or war films
We did not know that perverts were about............. but they were!
All your jumpers were hand knitted with itchy wool

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:13 pm »
You could use a public phone to signal a ring to your mum you were ready to come home from the swimming pool without putting in your 2p.
You were allowed up the swimming pool on your own.
You could ride you bike on the pavement or on the road.
Cold mornings always meant you could here the sound of old rusty Fords turning over and over cos they wouldnt start - ever without a push.
It was OK if you had big rust holes in the bodywork of your car.
You could have milk left on your doorstep without it being nicked and when you did a paper round people would leave the money on the doorstep for you.
Bus drivers would stop where you wanted to get off even if there wasnt a stop there.
It was perfectly acceptable to get a job on the local market when you where 10.
Parks had real rope swings, proper dangerous see saws and the good old witches hats.
1/2 p sweets and 5p bags of crisps.
As a kid you had to put your pocket money towards big christmas presents like bikes and go carts
Kids were happy with a hammer and nails and a pile of batons. (well I was!)
Everybodys dad did DIY or built there own extensions
As we grew up we had we were overjoyed with 16k of ram in our spectrum.
We had the patience to wait for a game to load and if it didnt we had the know how and were trusted to have a screwdriver to adjust the tape head on our tape deck.

lol

Baz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:12:17 am »
Going down a 1 in 10 hill on a book balanced on a skate.  Collecting acorns for the pig on the allotment.  Sadly we knew all about perverts!!!!  They were just as plentiful then, they maybe didnt have cars and motorways so would stay closer to home.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:13:56 am »
I forgot garters...blinking things gave me varicose veins as I remember socks were not too good at staying up so I remember doing athletics with very tight garters.....then tights with pants sewn in, a lovely Orange tan color, they used to wrinkle around the ankle like Nora Batty....no deodorant, itchy hand knitted jumpers that grew, stiff clothing, pointed end bras that have a crater in the end, drop down socks and big navy pants...wonderful!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:29 am »
Makes you realise how times have changed .... for the better.  Long live lycra

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:31:51 am »
God we're showing our age people...

I remember having to walk to the top of the road to use the phone then the excitement of our 1st telephone in the house.. I even remember the darn number  ;D. I remember the atari games system, how amazing were those paddles and the white dot going back and forth.. our first colour telly.. our first remote controlled telly.. camping overnight with the kids in the street in a field 10 miles away and you walked there and back to do it.. going out virtually at dawn and not coming home until dusk and mom and dad didn't have kittens worrying where you were.. you were playing out.. all kids stayed out all day holidays and weekends. I remember the kids in the street getting together and putting on concerts in the back gardens to entertain our parents and ourselves.. charging 2p entrance fee..lycra leggings the first time around..Z cars, the professionals, morecambe and wise on the telly saturday night.. good memories..

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52:39 am »
Like Jackie I was dragged up rate according to Mam and Dad could afford and was best for us brother and I We didn't go round Tesco screamin and stamping our feet because we couldn't have this or couldn't have that.No our 5 lads didn't either.You show us up in public you will regret it Kath would say and they never did not once that I can recall and you all know my memory. I know there was no Tesco but use your imagination Muther standing in a queue and one of us behaving like most not all only most children do ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:58:06 am »
Agree with all above...and miss most of it even now...but the thing I morn most of all is the loss of respect...for oneself and others...the world is sadder for that loss and would be a better place if we could resurrect it!

Farmer,  :farmer:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
hear hear... I was only saying to my kids this weekend that when we were at school the threat of the cane or slipper kept the kids in line and a clip round the ear from a policeman was expected if you cheeked them.. too right as well.. In this age of everything being PC I think we have lost a lot of respect for others and that goes for adults as well as kids i'm afraid. I'm not an advocate of beating kids or infringing human rights but pleeasseee I ask you in a world when a parent can be sued by their kids for giving tham a well deserved smack on the legs (infrequently) what's gone wrong? Perspective that's what we've lost.. IMHO..

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »
True story for a start helencus Next to the farm was Glazebrooks orchard a commercial unit one would say now a days At our house was an orchard a few apple trees pears plums and damsons but best of all greengages.All much better than ours.What happens we must go scrumping in Glazebrooks The Cox's will be fit by now and they are on the Far side.so off we sneak.Now I dont know if you did it at your village but the approved way of going by a gate was to Western Roll over it just like the high jump champions at the Olympic Games in London.You charge up to the gate place one hand on the top and one on the second rail and heave your self over."What are you young buggers up to shouts a voice panic and all heads for the gate.Now brother Billy being some 4 years younger than me and not quite so adept at this art Lay across or should I say along the top rail and in those days boys wore short trousers no jeans then and would you believe Scrutton the policeman was behind the hedge and whats more would you believe his big Gauntlat Gloves landed on Billy's arse and bare legs.Hell he did shout and roared his eyes out.Muther said Whats up wi our Billy so she found out and told Dad at tea time that I had egged him on cos he wouldn't do oat like that on his own.So I got a taste of Dads belt.I got my own back on Billy I sneaked off down the dyke and into Newark and we walked all the way to the Monastery at Kelham and went brambling in the wood behind the Monastery and sold all of them to Old Man Stanger for half a crown Then he went roarin to Muther George has got some goodies and wont give me any.I hid them in the cut box chute under the straw and when she looked in my pocket there was only two so she gave him one of them.Alas he didn't get any of the others though
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:50:26 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »
Good days George.. I grew up on a council estate in South Bham but never the less it was on the outskirts so we could walk out a few miles to fields and countryside. I distinctly remember going scrumping in the fields at the bottom of the rec and being chased by the blumming cows.. never ran so fast in all my life .. before and since  ;D

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »
Nice memory Wizard...I remember scrumping and being the youngest was always the one sent to climb up to the highest branches...the old farmer caught us one day and my 'friends' high tailed it leaving me behind...the Farmer scolded me for being a thief and frightend me so much I began to cry...he picked me up and carried me to the farm house, where his wife dried my tears and chastised him for being a bully...she made some tea and we had hot buttered scones and jam...when I left they gave me a bag of apples and an apple pie for my mother...I confessed to my parents who called around to the farm to apologise...and that led to a lifelong friendship between our families...funnily enough it turned out that old Bill (the Farmer) had met his wife, Annie, when HE was caught scrumping on her Dads farm many years earlier...so all's well that ends well...but I learnt my lesson and that was the last time I did any scrumping!

Thanks for making me remember that...it happened in the fifties and it was good to remember how nice folk could be to one another back then.

Farmer,  :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »
Hello farmer Yes it still happened then I was back in the late 40's but it don't matter it was a different world.I don't know if you know Newark and the surrounding area where I grew up Only free things were done really Bod Eggin and Train spotting The London to Scotland LNER passes through Newark and I've seen all the A4's many times Another true story The troughs were just outside Newark and the game was to sit on the fence at about 1/4 to 12 and wait for the Flying Scotsman Trains guess what was hauling Its Gannet today No its the Dominion of New Zealand no its Merlin the deep toned whistle gave the game away as to which it was as it passed under Claypole Bridge Now who was going to stay dry if the fireman didn't wind the chute up soon enough The top would fly up on the tender and a 18" column of water would stream up into the air and if you had chosen the right place you stayed dry on the other hand as well as 4 fingers and a thumb a drenched train spotter  ;D ;D ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS