Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Escaping shetlands  (Read 2117 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Escaping shetlands
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:12:26 pm »
My father in law told me not go get Shetlands and maybe he was right.  The fencing that has happily kept in a variety of lambs over the last few years has failed to keep in three 12 week old shetlands.  Got them on saturday and found one of them on the other side of the fence munching the much longer grass/ trees  in next doors field today.  Took 3/4 hour to catch him.  How high does a fence need to be for a shetland and how small a gap can they wriggle under as I am not sure how he got out?

I will need to upgrade the fencing and get them trained to a bucket very quickly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Escaping shetlands
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:00 pm »
Hmmm... mine so far have been contained by regular stock fencing, but stone walls are just vertical roads to them  ::)  :love: :sheep:  :hugsheep:

Our stock fencing has a wire below and two wires above the squared stocknet (small 'squares' at bottom.)  Because we have cattle, the very top wire is barbed. 

It'll need to be very taut and properly upright, mind.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:05:12 pm »
I've never had a Shetland go over a fence, but they are geniuses at wriggling through gaps.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:33 pm »
Agree with above - it's not the height it's the wiggle possiblility under or any gaps ie at gates if the pins are quite long they just walk through - with their mum's they just walk back through but on their own watch out!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »
I'm going to disagree with the above as my old shetland ewe could still clear a slightly saggy stock fence (at the age of 13) from a standing start; that said I never saw her go over a new section of stock fence which would be maybe 4" or 6" higher; but she didn't often jump fences so it's a little difficult to say for sure if she couldn't do a standard fence or just couldn't be bothered.

Are your fences in good condition or a bit saggy? - like the velociraptors in jurassic park shetlands WILL spot and exploit any weak points in a fence.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:00 pm »
I stand corrected - although our fencing is newish so all vertical - wire then stock fencing then 2 wired above
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »
I have a (bought-in) Shetland ewe who cleared a standard hurdle from standing two weeks before lambing (although in the end it was 4 weeks for her, but I didn't know that at the time)... still.

No idea if I can keep her, as she also often refuses to come into a pen and yesterday thankfully the shearer had his dog with him....

Shetlands will go over and under, but I have to say, my homebred ones don't jump.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS