Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb guidance  (Read 5098 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
lamb guidance
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:37:45 am »
Hi

I'm already planning ahead first year lambing so want to be sure, what age do I have to separate boys from girls (sisters and mums) to be safe.
I worry so want to put about it done by date in my diary.
These are Shetlands.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: lamb guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:05:53 am »
Did you not castrate your tup lambs?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:54:05 am »
To be totally sure, we take entire tup lambs out at 4 months.  A week or so over isn't a problem, but never more than 5 months, and even that is risky.  The dams have just about weaned them by that age so it's no wrench.  We take out wethers then too, for convenience, but not from necessity.  Hebs and Shetlands.  We have never had unwanted lambs by doing things that way.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »
Thanks fleecewife that works great 4 months it is, thank you...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:44:09 pm »
Are you hoping to sell all your intact boys as breeding stock ?... Best hogget is 18 months old Shetland wether, plus you get a good fleece to spin and a skin to tan - 3 crops in-one, but not from entire boys...

I take the entire boys (2 this year as only 1 ball had dropped by 14 days) out at just 4 months into separate field with tup and wether companion(s). I leave the girls and wethers to self-wean. I don't flush the ewes before next tupping.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »
We wean at 16 weeks, so pretty much the same as Fleecewife.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »
Are you hoping to sell all your intact boys as breeding stock ?... Best hogget is 18 months old Shetland wether, plus you get a good fleece to spin and a skin to tan - 3 crops in-one, but not from entire boys...

Hi Anke  :chook:  :wave:  I don't agree with that.  Most of our Heb males are kept intact so we have plenty of time to assess them as breeding stock (can't decide within 7 days of birth for castration.  Only a very few proceed to make the grade).  Their meat at 16 months is in no way tainted, tough, or unpleasant - in fact it's tender, lean and so tasty.  Their first shear fleece is as good as Heb can be.  We've not sent off skins from shearlings, ie with some regrowth, although we could do that.  Entire Hebs though have fair horn growth - not enough for sticks, but a useful extra. Shetlands perhaps a little less, and not such a good colour, but worth using for something, and their first fleece is lovely.
Do you mean because Shetlands can be a bit whiffier than Hebs?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:05:13 pm »
Weaned at 12 and 16 weeks (depending on age of ewes) and separated then into male and female mobs. All males left intact, and all sheep left with tails. One less job to do at lambing.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

Hi Anke  :chook:  :wave:  I don't agree with that.  Most of our Heb males are kept intact so we have plenty of time to assess them as breeding stock (can't decide within 7 days of birth for castration.  Only a very few proceed to make the grade).  Their meat at 16 months is in no way tainted, tough, or unpleasant - in fact it's tender, lean and so tasty.  Their first shear fleece is as good as Heb can be.  We've not sent off skins from shearlings, ie with some regrowth, although we could do that.  Entire Hebs though have fair horn growth - not enough for sticks, but a useful extra. Shetlands perhaps a little less, and not such a good colour, but worth using for something, and their first fleece is lovely.
Do you mean because Shetlands can be a bit whiffier than Hebs?

No I mean as someone in their first ever year of breeding sheep has not really got a cat-in-hell's chance of selling males as breeding stock, and especially not in the Shetland fraternity... and the best product (and easiest to obtain is to not have a load of males fighting and jumping fences into the female field...) but to rear them until you think they have enough meat on them (or in our case need to go to make sure the skins are ok to tan) and take them to slaughter (and if you then find you cannot send them away no harm done and you can keep them).

I am just generally against breeders (of any kind of livestock) keeping more than the best/most chance of selling/pre-booked males intact, and you need a good few years to be a good enough judge to decide who's good and who's not.

Maybe ok to leave the large breeds intact as they will mature enough to go before they become a nuisance, but not Shetlands!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »
Intact males have faster growth rates. With proper management they are no more hassle than wethers. Although I guess it might be different with shetlands/ hebs etc.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 06:58:04 pm »
Intact males have faster growth rates. With proper management they are no more hassle than wethers. Although I guess it might be different with shetlands/ hebs etc.
Agreed. I keep all mine intact and sell the majority straight off their mothers in Aug/Sept. Any not good enough then get separated till after tupping, then all kept together over winter. Just before lambing I put the tup lambs out on grass (which has just started growing again) and I then market them as they fatten on the grass. Just put my last tup hoggs in at Selby last week and got £81 for the pen.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:00:39 pm »
We have never sold a Shetland breeding tup yet, and never would even try, so I agree with that.  I doubt it was Bloomer's reason for leaving them intact.
We have never found intact male Hebs or Shetlands to be difficult to manage.  The only wee devils I wouldn't trust out of my sight is Soay, who are 'very keen to work'.  Yes, if you haven't enough paddocks to keep entire males at least a couple of hedges or fences away from the females, there's all sorts of shenanigans they'll get up to, even without jumping a fence.  But with good management they're fine, and as Porterlauren says, entire tups finish better than wethers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS