Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Valais Blacknose Lambing  (Read 21283 times)

cooksey

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Valais Blacknose Lambing
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 10:18:53 pm »
there treat like we treat welsh ewes here in there native country! i am sure they would cope here outside lambing. there a ridiculous toy for rich people though i think i could buy some and import them for less than the sell for here!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 11:03:52 pm »
Why anyone would pay that sort of money for what is essentially a novelty item is beyond me when in a few years time they will be as common as dog turds in this country.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:15 am »
I suspect this may be a wind-up. OP registered yesterday, has made one post and is using what looks like a temporary email address.

Surely if you were going to drop that sort of cash on stock you'd either know the answer to such a basic question already or would ask the breeder? Happy to be proven wrong, apologies to the OP if I am.

As to how much they cost, a farmer in Scotland bought 10 ewes and a tup in 2014 for £55k...

This person wouldn't also be looking to farm chickens commercially would they? ;) ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:32 am »
Why anyone would pay that sort of money for what is essentially a novelty item is beyond me when in a few years time they will be as common as dog turds in this country.

If that happens I may well get a couple just for the novelty value!  ;D

BTW, if this IS a windup, I'm sorry to say it isn't a very good one. I'm sure each of us could have thought of better;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgwodehouse

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 01:30:44 pm »
This is not a wind up, I just registered recently to get more information on that topic, as I couldn't really find much on the internet.
Thanks for your replies!

PS. why should this be a windup? I think I could do better with my time ;)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »
Glad to hear that, let us know how you get on and please post some pics. :sheep:

PS. why should this be a windup? I think I could do better with my time ;)

As has been said it seems likely you'll be investing a fair bit of money in the venture, and presumably buying/acquiring from a reputable breeder. Wouldn't they be the best source of info given the breed is so scarce?

pgwodehouse

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »
Well I would get them from small german breeders, which are much cheaper and it doesn't look too good to contact a breeder without any knowledge of that sheep breed

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »
Fair enough! We'll stop the cross-examination now and let the people who know get on with imparting knowledge.

Good luck with them, we had them at the Scottish Smallholder Festival last year and they are very striking.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »
Ah - I don't think you said you were not in Britain.  Here just a few of these sheep were imported, and sell for very high prices.  As a consequence I doubt anyone on this smallholders forum has any personal knowledge of the breed, unless they too live in another country, or are the breeders mentioned above.
No point in taking the huff - we've made a genuine mistake - sorry  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: We'd love to hear more about your experience with these sheep.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 02:13:21 pm »
Out of interest then, how much would you expect to pay for these sheep in Germany?  The prices in Britain are simply eye watering (many thousands of pounds each), which is why you didn't get a straight answer to your original question!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
Have googled them and they are, as my grand-daughters would say "seriously cute" but then, so was the farmer ;) ;D

pgwodehouse

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »
I haven't seen the lambs from the breeders in nature yet but most of them are between 150-300 Euros. I think maybe the price is so low because they are only smallholders and no professional farmers or big breeders.
I would not buy them to start up something commercial though, just for my own :)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
At that price, i'll drive over with a lorry and buy as many as I can. . . . . . drive straight back and sell them here. . . . . then retire lol.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 03:26:22 pm »
What are the import costs or implications of bringing them into this country? Does anybody know? It can't possibly cost much to buy them straight off the mountains, otherwise they wouldn't kill any and would just flog the lot surely, so I'm guessing there must be some sort of cost to bringing them over other than fuel. The price of those in the UK are a joke, but they must get the figures from somewhere surely. I mean if I had spent that much on a sheep it would be living in the house with me.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 03:38:16 pm »
I suspect it may be a similar situation to the Merino, which was imported in the late 1700's to improve the fleece of the Southdown.  They couldn't cope with the English weather and were later exported to Australia where, of course, they did very well.  I note the folks who paid a lot for them also keep alpacas, so are used to eye-watering amounts of money.  I would feel very cautious indeed about importing sheep to the UK, given the problems with Bluetongue, Schmallenberg and so on in recent years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS