Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: who keeps turkeys?  (Read 9079 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: who keeps turkeys?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »
Its fine to keep them together with chickens as long as you worm them as described! They become immune because of the worming rather than age, if you didnt worm them they would probably die at around 8 weeks. The blackhead is a protozoa that is carried by chickens and lives in the ground, once its in the ground its extremely difficult to get rid! You can turn the ground over and lime it but I'd prefer to have a strict worming programme, make sure its flubenvet though and not a herbal type wormer!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »
i was also thinking of limeing the ground what sort of lime is it, is it the same as builders lime

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
I keep turkeys and chickens together, worming as described, i do keep the youngsters seperate until at least 10 weeks old unless they are being reared by a chicken broody of course ;D.
turkeys can be a bit possesive of the grub but found a spiral feeder makes sure everyone gets a share.

mandy

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »
right got my flubenvet. what a performance. my farm supplier told me i can only have a 60grm tube as hes not allowed to sell it anymore. a tub to do 6 birds for 6 months £20 plus vat, sod that. so i went to my feed suplier mill up the road, asked if it could be added to feed ,yes he said min 40 tons, so may wait for the game breeders to order some then ask him for a couple of 20klo bags, he could sell me 60 grm tub for £10.50 plus vat so i had that, but he couldnt sell me a a 240 grm tub or more (regs), so i said can i buy 6 or more 60 grm tubes he said yes ???????????????? bloody eu rules,
 Now as i understand it my breeding turkeys will eventually become imune but they must be allowed to become infected then treated then they become imune, THEY CANNOT BECOME IMUNE IF NEVER INFECTED, IS THAT CORRECT.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »
very true. maybe they get a slight dose of the bug between treatments. however the most likely reason is that you don't have the bug in your flock. i don't know but not worth the risk. the EU do seem to have something against turks banning the drugs that treat blackhead and now making a good wormer harder to get.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:12 pm »
I thought they get immune through maturity? In any case you must worm as I advised to prevent blackhead. I bought flubenvet off the internet, has that been stopped then? will have to investigate!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »
you can get small tubs only 60 grm... none on ebay at all, its seems strictly controlled sales now

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »
I have heard both sides..tales of turkey flocks been wiped out cause of Blackhead, which are true and very tragic to those who are in denial and say older Turkeys' DO NOT' get it. I buy flubenvet off the internet in large tubs and they do last a while. I would rather be safe than sorry and there are other worms that infest poultry you know.To me you should worm regularly as you would any animal. Hermit

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »
can't argue with that. just is it safe to use vermex against the blackhead worm. like you i prefer flubenvet

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 02:21:20 pm »
Vermex is a herbal wormer, more of a deterent I feel, I prefer Flubenvet myself aswell.I want  to know the job is done .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS