Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uses for old baler twine  (Read 10457 times)

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
Uses for old baler twine
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:30:39 pm »
I've been out in the stable yard today and trying to do a little tidying up after all the snow etc.

We have loads of old baler twine lying about which I do recycle in the summer and use to tie plants up etc but was wondering if you have any other inventive ideas of what I can with the stuff?

I tried making haynets years ago which worked well but we don't use them at all now.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: Uses for old baler twine
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »
Can you crochet? You can make baskets from them, or even if you can't crochet, you can make coiled baskets quite easily with baler twine (waste not, want not!)

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall08/Privett/howto.html

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:00:56 pm »
Thanks for that. I used to crochet as a child but not sure I could do it now, making baskets might be a good idea so I'll have a look at the website you suggested. 8)
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »
Emergency dog leads,  ;D
allways have some on me when i help on the farm

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:31:10 pm »
When baler twine was "proper" i.e. made from sisal we used to make kitchen mats from it. Six lengths,plaited and sewn together with the string from feed bags, round and round until the mat was big enough.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:33:58 am »
Put it in your pocket :)

You can never have enough bailer twine in your pocket, it always comes in handy...

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:26:29 am »
Of course Baz this does not apply now one could more than likely end up locked up if one did comply When I was a big lad and help on the farm the Mester would say are you equipped George? This he claimed was all a good boy needed in his pockets a shilling a good pocket knife and plenty of binder twine.And my word he was right in those far off days.You could buy fish and chips for your dinner if you drove the sheep to market You could tie up the gate with binder band and cut it off with your pocket knife Plus he gave you half a crown for droving What today?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:30:46 am »
Baler Twine...aka = Farmers' Friend...the most underrated 'tool' on any farm/smallholding...used for a multitude of emergency and temporary repair jobs...security, safety, a third hand, etc, etc,...if Baden Powell had thought about it it would have been an essential part of any boy scouts pocket contents...but with so much surplus I'd love to hear what more permenant uses it could be put too?

Bring it on TAS members...lets have your words of wisdom!

Farmer,  :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:36:57 am »
Farmer one use for the long lengths around Claas Rolant is Knit a net for my kidney beans to climb up.When they are done cut the beans off at ground level and roll it all up nice and tidy.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:45:34 am »
Okay, it's not an agricultural use, as such - nor one I would ever recommend :o
But it is a wee bit funny ! I vividly remember being told this story by my Mum. Many years ago (over 30 ;)), as well as farming, my Dad played in a band and regularly used to travel all over the place with all the bands gear in an old transit. On one trip something went wrong with the engine and they had to stop at a garage to fix it. My Dad went off into the shop while my Mum went round the front to open the bonnett. As she did she was met with the sight of all the vans' electrics tied up nice and neatly with baler twine  :o :o :o Looking more like a string of fairy lights than anything else. As my Dad walked back towards her, she noticed a police car pull in so quickly shut the bonnett and they sat in the car (my Dad getting a serious head nip) until the police left and he could fix it and get back on the road.
But I use it for making frames for my peas and beans (at least I'm not likely to get arrested  ;);D ;D ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »
They do say that without baler twine half of Britain's farm machinery would fall apart and all it's fences would collapse!!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »
I suppose if you reeally want to, you can tie it into a woggle, if you are a Baden Powell devotee  ;D

Another thing to do with baler twine is to use it for split ply braiding - something I intend to learn this year, from a split ply braiding 'expert'. It's quite rock n roll, because you use a drill to twine single pieces together, and split it later to create things.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »
Its pretty much sterile so good for pulling lambs in an emergency, its also good for flossing your teeth if you get the synthetic twine and you pull out strands lol.  Its also great as a belt for that 'compo' style.

Personally I always carry a knife and some twine everywhere I go, I doubt any copper would arrest someone with a legit use for carrying a blade.  If you ask me when you with work cloths on and you have not got a knife then your not properly equipped.

Ta

Baz

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:46 pm »
Whatever you do, don't throw it away because that is when you'll find that you need it for something, trust me, I write through experience. :)
Pigtails

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 05:23:09 pm »
Haynets!  Have just constructed some along my fence, tying lengths of baling twine up and down and zig zag around each thread - makes great haynet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS