Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An idea!  (Read 3841 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
An idea!
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:29 pm »
Listen guys we all know that TB is a big problem in the UK, but what if we could get it all under control? What if we could solve the problem? I have been thinking and I would personally like your own opinions on the matter. What if the badger cull could get the badgers down to a certain level and we could persuade the wildlife trust to keep them at that level. What I propose is to get the dairies, the NFU and the Government on our side and get them to sign contracts. Contracts which say that as long as these agreements are fulfilled they will not only approve the project but will also fund it and up the milk price. What we do then is get a meeting together of all the farmers in the UK, I:E a massive meeting, we then say to them that the Government will give them funding for reseeding all their ground with very good nutritious and healthy grass seed and to lower the numbers of their herds. This way if farmers not only improved their ground but lowered their herd numbers their farms would not be overstocked, but they could also use the rest of the land as they liked, as arable or for sheep. The reseeding of the fields and the lower herd numbers would mean less disease. Also the stopping of artificial fertilizers for land too, in other words persuade people to go organic, by making it a more attractive business venture. What we need is for people to talk to farmers and encourage them into going into organics, by making it much better for business. The reason why I say reseed all the fields and stop chemicals is because a lot of farmers pile the fertilizers on their fields, so that there is little nutritional value in the grass for the cows, also the wildlife. If they were given a grant towards reseeding their whole farm with much healthier grass not only would it build up the cows immune system, but it would help the badgers and other wildlife too remain healthy.
What do you think? :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: An idea!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:18:45 pm »
Here's the devil's Advocate answer:

Why should the public fund yet another swathe of farming subsidies? many folk are finding thems eves unemployed and having to retrain ..so if the less successful farmers cannot fund their own business then there is an answer that perhaps they hould go under too.. and subsequently the amount f land coming on the market would drop it;s price and encourage the more successful to expand with economies of scale.

Before supporting more badger culling .. there is enough controversy of scientific study as to the benefits.. perhaps compared to movement issues, farm hygeine and the like. Bring up  an array of for and against scientific papers before even approacing a government.. unless there's a backhander in it for them.

There is perhaps a bigger argument still for reducing the national herds and reducing the meat intake of people and even the cattle methane levels and putting the better land to crop production: pulses where they'll grow, orchards, bio fuel pecursors and timber. we're back to encouraging breast feeding instead of bottle feeding so the needs for dried milk products is way rediced. The consequence would inevitably be a rise in milk prices anyway.

I'd say the same for your argument about immune systems..just reseeding along is unlikely to be the answer or even orgaic.. it's down to factors like soil quality and mineral levels, the absolute diet of the cattle and probably more to do with the individual genetics of stock... perhaps gettng away from high production breeds to high robust breeds??

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »
I was thinking of more traditional breeds than Frisian cows. Also funding would be due to someones income, the more income you have the less you get and so on. Getting badgers down to a good level is critical for the balance of the environment. I do not agree with less successful farmers going under as that creates an attitude for the big boys to rule everything, like what is happening in America. I think the more small farmers the better the land can be managed. small farmers should be given encouragement and not be told to get out of the way. I agree about doing more research before approaching the government, but like I said it is just something to think about and not necessarily going to happen. I agree about the soil management, as that is the key to good pasture.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:36:20 pm »
When I say traditional I mean traditional milking breeds like the northern dairy shorthorn, once rife in Britain until the Frisian took over.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:50:27 pm »
To achieve any form of agricultural reform we need to educate the public to not expect cheap food, and persuade the supermarkets etc to agree sensible prices to producers and forego their massive profits. We cannot sustain this idea that profits must rise year in year to satisfy over paid board members and shareholders.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:01:47 pm »
To achieve any form of agricultural reform we need to educate the public to not expect cheap food, and persuade the supermarkets etc to agree sensible prices to producers and forego their massive profits. We cannot sustain this idea that profits must rise year in year to satisfy over paid board members and shareholders.
I am totally in agreement :thumbsup:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
I am totally in agreement :thumbsup:

While I am equally in agreement I fear that its too late. Expenditure on food no longer occupies the household purse to the same extent. So many other " previous non essentials" like mobile phones, a second car, iPads and huge tellies have to be paid for out of a budget that hasn't grown to the same extent. Depressing, but cheap food is here to stay, along with the tendency to have to buy twice as much as needed and throw half away.  until  food starts running out of course

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »
My word, you don't have small ideas do you :o :o Did you think of, maybe dairy farming going back to the 1950/60's? A lovely idea, but what will the farmers live on whilst all the changes are taking place? Dairy farming is a precarious business as it is and, quite truthfully ,the majority of folk don't give a stuff about animal welfare, badgers or how much per litre farmers are paid for their milk or even what crap is poured onto the land and so into their milk and beef. They want cheap, not good. If this were not the case there would be no factory farming of pigs and poultry, people just wouldn't buy it.
So a lovely theory and I wish with all my heart it could come to pass (and I would back any movement towards it to the hilt!) but the "don't want to know "consumer and thus the supermarket is king and there are a lot more of them than there is of us, unfortunately.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:54:53 pm »
Also funding would be due to someones income, the more income you have the less you get and so on.

DA: So now you're paying the inefficient and uneconomic to carry on? Or is this a yearning for the bucolic image of a young peasant lass in national costume sitting on her three-legged stool? By all means make them all hand milk and reduce mastitis...

Getting badgers down to a good level is critical for the balance of the environment.

DA: Still controversial as to whether that's the case. Hence the pilot study and that hasn't worked out too well either

I do not agree with less successful farmers going under as that creates an attitude for the big boys to rule everything, like what is happening in America. I think the more small farmers the better the land can be managed. small farmers should be given encouragement and not be told to get out of the way.

DA: You can;t have it both ways. Either you limit the size of herd that a farer can own or accept that the megadairies and multinationals run governments

I agree about doing more research before approaching the government, but like I said it is just something to think about and not necessarily going to happen. I agree about the soil management, as that is the key to good pasture.

DA: research first and prove your points. Then also consider limiting where stock can be kept if you want to manage them off the land ..without copper or selenium supplements etc. Sadly it's not going to happen.

From the viewpoint of feeding peole you'ld get more from the land as arable..

Devils Advocate signing off...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 04:17:08 pm »
reducing the number of badgers is crucial and yes it would make a massive difference, the population is seriously balanced atm. Most of the farmers I am talking about are the big boys, Lord Raleigh etc, etc. It is true that there are some farmers in the governments and that they would not be too happy, but like i said it is just an idea and probably will not happen. In order to make this whole plan work you would have to solve the poverty state in Britain
which should be first and foremost above anything else anyway. Farming back in the 50s-60s was a very hard time and no I do not want to go back there thank you. My plan is about increasing fertility of fields and of animals too, back in the post-war years farming was exceedingly difficult. By the way they got rid of tons of badgers in Ireland and are currently keeping them at a level and the TB in Ireland is almost non-existent, maybe we should follow their example. I am not saying go back in time to the 50s and 60s,or that anyone will have to hand milk, I say keep all the technology we have now and just change certain aspects of commercial farming, I am not saying go back to the dark ages at all.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 12:35:03 am »
Cull Badgers.

Test Bloody Aplacas.

Tin Hat On!

:innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS