Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preserving Foods  (Read 5910 times)

Kassponia

• Joined Feb 2010
Preserving Foods
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »
Hi,

I am new, and I was wondering how long food lasts once it has been canned by Boiling Method?

I don't plan on canning meat, but sauces, usually, curry, bolognaise, and creamy mushroom.

Any help appreciated here, thank you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Preserving Foods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:49:45 pm »
Welcome, why not post a bit about yourself in the Hello thread?
Can't answer your question, but jamsand sweet pickles last no time at all in this house. ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:16 pm »
well in a magazine I read a can of corned beef packed for the troops in France in WW1  :farmer:was opened and found to be in a safe and sound condition.I have various preserves over 5 years old I use as and when ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:48 am »
Theoretically, it should last ages. But then it depends on whether or not you've canned it properly.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:20 am »
hello sage. Yes I know I have preserved tomato's and goosegogs black and red currants for years in Kilner Jars but it didn't dawn on me that the Americanism canning is the same thing in actuality.For years I've looked for a can sealer They used to have one at Rasen school in the domestic science class room I can find oudles of empty cans and lids but no can sealer.We used to wind the handle 20 times then cook the can in a pressure cooker.  ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »
You can't find those manual can sealers anywhere anymore  :(

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
I know that this is in the USA  Sage, but this company do everything you need for home canning ...even the tins !!
http://www.ehcan.com/CanningEquipment.html

I should think that somewhere in the UK someone would sell similar stuff , if not , some budding £ maker could open up a UK branch maybe ?

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »
Aye Rusty and in China the frieght is more than the canner :farmer:

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:03 pm »
Cheers for that Rusty  ;D I'm not sure why home canning is so out of fashion no one seems to do them here, even though over the pond, people do it all the time. I'm not enterprising enough to want to be the distributor of it here - all I want it just one for myself, lol!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:36:50 pm »
Sage go to Google and write  Canning Pantry then choose american canners and sit down before you start ;D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 09:15:09 pm »
oh wow! I love the site  :love: They's got everything!!  :o

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:39 am »
Hey up sage put that plastic away you can go through it like ducks take to watter If I ivvver win the Lotto Roll over You and I will go mad eeee!

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
I'll hold you to that promise, George!  ;D I won't dream of buying anything from them, because the postage would bankrupt me!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »
And I will be delighted to honour it sage ;D :farmer:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Welcome on here, Kassponia.
After reading up on it I decided a while ago that freezing the things you want to preserve is the lower fuzz option for me. If you give it a go, let us know how you get on!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS