Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old beding  (Read 5669 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: old beding
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:20:17 pm »
What I find a problem with shavings, is that the goats tend to nibble on it. And I don't think it is very good for them to eat. That might be my goats though that are weird. I prefer to give straw, and straw is a good bulk fibre feed as well- goats will eat it if it is nice straw.

I do put either stovies (compressed shavings) or shavings under the straw for the kids. While they are on milk, they wee a lot, so that helps to soak it up!

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:55:29 pm »
no, my goats love to eat the shavings too !
we have a mixture of shavings and older hay - the bits they chuck around... though ours tend to bank it up and lie, leaning on it & lay on the floor...
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »
yours do that too little blue? I thought it was just mine and I was worrying that in the winter they'll be cold on the floor. I've been going in there spreading it back over and they just shove it back against the walls!! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 10:28:34 pm »
aren't they funny?!
our pigs do it too... contrary b**gers!  we can hear them at night, scratching the floor to get it just right....  :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS