Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old beding  (Read 5668 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
old beding
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »
how often do ye guys change the bedding of your goats.
please dont get me wrong, its not that i never change it.
it was just today that i changed it and seen there was still quite alot of good straw,any how tho
i changed the lot anyway.
also what do you guys do with your straw that you take out?
ive just put it to oneside in the veg garden, hoping to use it as a mulch and maybe dig some in when it rots
down more
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: old beding
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:19 pm »
In the winter in particular deep bedding is very good, like "underfloor heating". I haven't cleaned mine out since october, but now getting difficult to open the door (opens inwards) and they start to reach the height of the water bucket with their back ends, if you get my meaning...

But seriously, only take off any droppings from the top once a day and put a bit more straw (or similar) on top to keep it dry, if it starts too look wet. Especially if you have concrete floor, very cold!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:10:37 pm »
nice one anke  ;)
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:54 pm »
We "deep litter" as well, I muck out the pens about once every 6-10 weeks, depending on the time of year or how many goats there are in a pen. I know people who clean their goats out every day, but Anke is right, it does keep them warmer.

Still, you do need to find something to do with the dung. And remember the more goats you have, the more dung you will get. Putting it on the garden is good, but you may want to designate a "compost heap" area to put it until you get to spread it.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »
 ;)
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »
Oh yes, I have a couple of dung heaps for rotting down over a period of about 18 months, also has some chicken stuff in it too plus polytunnel veg composting material. Grass goes on it in summer too, so makes good compost for my VERY VERY clay soil. But you probably need to let it all rot down for quite a while.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
I just realised this morning I forgot something else you can do with the bedding. When I muck out a pen, I have started giving the chucks in their runs, the top of the bedding. So the nice dry bits of straw off the top, not the mucky wet dung from below. The chucks love to scratch it through, and they can eat up any little bits of split food the goats have split into the straw. And just now, it has the added effect of helping to soak up some of the mud in the chucks run. My Hamburgs are having dust baths in some as I type, despite there being 4 inches of snow!

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
i started to through the old stuff into the pigs and let them trammple it
into the groung to improve soil structure as we might sometime grow veg on the ground.
good idea too about putting it into the chucks, just might steal that! ;)
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »
Yep- recycle, recycle, recycle!!!

Beth

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:40:08 am »
This was great advice.  I was going to start a new topic about what to do with goat bedding as we have loads and it takes ages to rot down but this answers my question.  Also frequency of cleaning I was unsure about but not now.  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
just be aware that deep damp bedding, especially in warm wooden building can be a breeding ground for maggots and therefore flies...

and when it comes to cleaning out time... it can be REALLY heavy!!  :))
Little Blue

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:07 am »
Thanks LB.  Our stable is stone with concrete floors so hope that will be better.  Also, maybe I'll do this in winter only.  I'll get hubby to do the lifting I think.  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »
Good thinking!  they have their uses.. when they're willing   :)
Little Blue

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:31:27 am »
Let the hubby buy a mini digger then he'll clean it out on weekends for fun :)

To be honest we couldnt afford to clean everything out and provide sufficient insulation again on a frequent basis, I think as long as whatever you have is not in squalor its ok.  Clean bedding can be provided on a base.

Ta

Baz

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:56:40 am »
I am relatively new to goats and am currently bedding them in wood shavings- 2 10 week old nubians and 2 8month old pygmys. I have the wood shavings for the hens. I find that after 5 days or so it gets very wet and soggy and so i am changing it every week. Would straw for the goats be a better job or is it any more suitable than the shavings.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS