Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dairy Free Recipes Needed  (Read 2891 times)

BigPeat

• Joined May 2015
  • Peterhead
Dairy Free Recipes Needed
« on: May 18, 2015, 02:54:44 pm »
My DH has just discovered he's allergic to dairy at the ripe old age of 43 :o  Anyone got experience of what is possible with marg and soya milk!?  Since he was diagnosed I crave lasagne, sticky toffee pudding and millionaires shortbread (like when you're pregnant and told you're not allowed brie & pate, suddenly you can't stop thinking about them even although you never ate them anyway ;D)  Have made ok white sauce, custard and Yorkshire puddings with the soya milk.  Lemon curd and toffee sauce with marg not such a hit! Cheese seems to be the biggest problem, anyone found a dairy free alternative worth eating?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Dairy Free Recipes Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »
We use sunflower spread all the time, and I have tried baking with it. It was ok for fruit cake but the Victoria sandwich was a bit heavy. It also worked for oat biscuits in place of butter / margarine.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »
I don't have experience with it myself, but I'm internet friends with a foodie person who is dairy free and she says cashew cheese is the best.  Apparently it even melts on pizza.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:17:42 am »
I too have a dairy allergy, I think it's a lot to do with pasteurisation killing off the bacteria that does your gut good. I can't tolerate cows milk, butter etc. but am ok with a limited amount of goat and sheep.
You can get dairy free margarine in the supermarket (but I would rather go without!) also for tea etc. coconut or hazel milk is nice.
I will look for cashew cheese, Thyme.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:46:47 pm »
My oh became dairy intolerant after an operation so we use Pure sunflower marg and goats cheese. We use sheep yogurt and soya milk. We will shortly be taking delivery of golden Guernsey goats with a view to milking them :excited:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:49:39 am »
There is a new recipe book in the River Cottage series which is all about dairy-free recipes. Also wheat free. It is called Light and Easy and the recipes are delicious. I really look forward to cooking for my dairy free friends now. It is remarkable what can be cooked, once you have the know-how. :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 04:53:39 pm »
For cooking you can replace butter with coconut oil
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:09:47 am »
My dear sister makes me rice pudding using coconut milk, you wouldn't use anything else after tasting it :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS