Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2012 battery cage ban is under threat!  (Read 5266 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
2012 battery cage ban is under threat!
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »
   From  Compassion in World Farming

"The 2012 battery cage ban is under threat. Help us lobby Defra to oppose the Polish government’s suggested postponement of the ban to 2017.

Earlier this week, Poland proposed a delay to the ban on conventional battery cages by five years, to 2017. Jim Fitzpatrick MP, the Defra Minister responsible for animal welfare, will be present at the EU Agricultural Council on 22 February, when Ministers will address this proposal. We need him to vigorously oppose Poland’s suggestion and for the Council to reject it."

http://action.ciwf.org.uk/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=119&ea.campaign.id=5757

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: 2012 battery cage ban is under threat!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:12:11 pm »
We've signed and we've shared it on our facebook pages etc. Lets hope we can put enough pressure on to make a difference!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »
I've signed.  Thanks for the heads up, Cameron
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »
Thanks for telling us Cameron. That will be a blow if it happens.  As a co ordinator for a battery hen rescue, we were hoping that our services helping these hens would not be required much longer.**-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:48:34 am »
Signed. How long do they need to prepare? It's not like they haven't known about this!

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:08:45 pm »
hey cameron, have signed to..

Do you have your own chooks... if so what you got..
i started with 4 pekin, who the bad fox
and stoat shared :'(

has slightly escalated to 35 laying
12 pekin , 6 frizzle, 15 silkie, 3 blaue partridge wyandotte cokeral  still here cause are beauties
 and a few more

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:45:05 pm »
Have signed and put a link on my Facebook page.

I really hope Fitzpatrick keeps his government's promise and vigorously rejects Poland's proposal.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »
Do you have your own chooks... if so what you got..

I only have 10 at the moment (which includes my 2 cockerels) as i have just cleared out my older birds, but i have 7 eggs in the incy due to hatch on Tuesday.

Currently i have
2 warren browns
2 Light Sussex X Wellsummer
2 Scots Dumpies (long legged)
a Black Rock x Light Sussex (she looks like a Ls but reversed)
a Light Sussex hen
+ 6 cuckoo Maran eggs + one miscellaneous

I have a Light Sussex Male
and a small pekin male.
(if you ever need homes for any pekin bantams ::) )

I started with 4 blackrocks and within 3 days had 28 mixed bantams as well, sadly the fox broke in and i lost all of them .

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 06:09:25 pm »
will bear that in mind as you only 10 mins away..

lost my black pekin cockeral.. but will try get eggs and grow some more wee friends..
i got 6 chicks  = grey frizzlemale and black pekin hen
3 wee chicks that will be surprise as eggs came from poland
9 white silkies
8 eggs under 1 hen and 29 in the incubator

no saying what may happen

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
I've signed and asked all my family and friends to. I have 16 ex bats did have 22 but lost some to mysterious illness over the winter. Anyone who has rescued ex bats knows what a dreadful state they are in when rescued and they are the lucky ones. I am a total pain and will bang on to anyone on the evils of battery farms but I ,like I'm sure you all do, feel passionately about this issue.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:34:45 pm »

Signed lets hope it makes a difference
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 08:39:38 pm »
I've signed and asked all my family and friends to. I have 16 ex bats did have 22 but lost some to mysterious illness over the winter. Anyone who has rescued ex bats knows what a dreadful state they are in when rescued and they are the lucky ones. I am a total pain and will bang on to anyone on the evils of battery farms but I ,like I'm sure you all do, feel passionately about this issue.
I'm with you, Helencus - I speak to complete strangers in the supermarkets telling them not to buy eggs from caged hens - and when I go into details you can see them going green at the gills!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 08:40:51 pm »
signed
langdon  ;)
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:31 pm »
I have 80 hens, or thereabouts, and I would say over half are ex battery hens.  Quite often at the rescues we do, there are some spare, or someone is unable to take theirs on the day, and as is quite often the case, some look downright sick and sorry, so it would not be fair to rehome with people starting out with chickens.  So, they stay with me.

Got the rescue at the end of the month, but I really cannot take any more on.  The ex batts live happily with my selection of other hens, and the bantams.  ---------

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 11:45:53 pm »
Roxy, I rescued first 6 girls, then another 4 last year.  Unfortunately one jumped the fence and got caught by my GWP, adn another two just went downhill and died - would that be against me if i wanted to have some more?  I get them from BHWT, at Callander

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS