Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe attacking her own lamb  (Read 10314 times)

Friday Farm

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Ewe attacking her own lamb
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 11:38:00 am »
I know I'm being soft but I hate this!  The sheep is tethered but I still have to push her to the side and hold her or she won't stand still for the lamb.  She (the sheep) doesn't seem to be eating or drinking.

When the lamb starts feeding the sheep flinches, and she grinds her teeth.  Someone who knows about sheep (ie not me!) has checked for mastitis, and that's definately not a problem.

Just needed to vent really.  Sigh.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 12:09:39 pm »
Lambs suckle little and often and if she's not being suckled regularly her udder may be full and very uncomfortable. Can you try stripping her out to get things to a more normal level then try putting the lamb on a short time later?

Friday Farm

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 12:36:48 pm »
I'm just going to go out there more often to start with.  Thanks for the tip.

Friday Farm

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:40 am »
Good news!  It took six days, but we let the sheep and lamb out yesterday and they are fine.  I'm so pleased we stuck to it (credit to my husband I would have given up).  We're keeping them separate from the rest as not to upset the harmony.

Thanks for all your advice and support.

Anna

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 09:19:38 am »
That's great news!

Much of the time its about keeping going, the last of my ewes who didn't want to be a mother went out Monday and they look to be doing well.

Keeping an eye on them now is key though  :thumbsup:
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS