Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Different coloured eggs?  (Read 5705 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Different coloured eggs?
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:02:54 am »
 :wave:
I am looking for some hatching eggs of some pure breeds which lay 'different' coloured eggs.
I currently just have Dorkings which lay white eggs, and thought I'd be nice to have some different colours. I was thinking a blue and a dark brown.
Does anyone have any such hatching eggs for sale?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Different coloured eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:11:13 pm »
Or maybe could anyone recommend any nice looking birds which lay interesting eggs?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:18:36 pm »
Or maybe could anyone recommend any nice looking birds which lay interesting eggs?
Lavender Araucana's lay blue eggs, you can get a certain strain of welsummers which lay nice deep dark reddishy brown eggs, also try copper marans, there are some on preloved.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:05 pm »
I have crested cream legbars for blue eggs and copper black marans for a darker brown,. Tho they're not as dark as some marans sadly,  I now have nicely mixed colours in boxes sold as most are cream or beige other than that.  Customers like it and it means I have an idea who laid what.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:39:12 pm »
A thought on mixing breeds - we have Silver Grey Dorkings and last year raised chicks alongside a variety of other breeds (hatching eggs from market).  The Dorkings were by far the most docile and tended to get bullied by some of the heavy soft-feathered breeds.  Marans and Rhode Island Reds have always tried to dominate other breeds we've kept, which is why we no longer keep them.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:45:54 pm »
Oh heck. A lot to think about then. We did used to run some hybrids with the dorkings without any bother, but I don't want to upset my girls.... :-\

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:52 pm »
The depth of brown in Marans or Welsummers is down to strain really, not the variety. No reason why a Copper Black shouldn't lay as dark an egg as any other Marans. Problem is that people see the eggs making good money on eBay and pair up any hen with any cockerel and sell them as dark egg layers. Not that easy.

I'm in year 2 of my copper black project. Hatched a load of bought in eggs last year and some are laying nice dark eggs, some not. The colour comes largely from the cockerel so I'm hoping the one I selected to breed from has dark egg genes but I won't know that until my current 6 week pullets (hatched out of the darkest eggs we had) start laying in September or so. It takes a hell of a time. Our first Marans hatched out of really dark eggs but the pullets laid pale eggs. It's difficult.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:18:51 pm »
If you aren't completely bothered about pure breeds, there is a seller on amazon who sells "rainbow eggs" - a variety of pure and hybrids and crosses that give a whole variety of colored eggs. I've never personally used them (yet!) but they have good feedback and appear really professional

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201342514169

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:28:49 pm »
So much to think about now!
Do you know if 'generally' cuckoo marans lay darkish brown eggs? My fella fancies some of those.
Does anyone have any cream legbar hatching eggs for sale?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:19:11 pm »
Cuckoo Marans should lay dark eggs but it depends on the strain. Probably most will lay a good darkish egg but it's difficult to get the really dark ones. You might be lucky. My own experience of cuckoos has not been great. I have found them a bit  'in your face' but that may be me being unlucky. But they are good solid birds who should live a long while if you get good stock.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »
I have an established tiny flock of 6 hybrids who lay brilliantly but I introduced 2 Cream Legbars about 5 weeks ago as Im very keen to have blue eggs.
My experience to date? ( apologies.... but I only got them on your advice guys  ::) )    ........ the Legbars are SO THICK! They cant find their way out of the run when its free-range time. they cant find their way under a field gate even though ALL their friends have just shown them how to do it. They cant find their way back into the run when the rain comes. The Hybrids are Einsteins by comparison.
AND.....these 2 Cream Legbars are accepted in the flock and are 25 weeks old but have we had an egg yet??....NO! Not a sniff. they aren't even looking at the nest boxes  :-\

Mind you  ::) Ive got 6 Cream Legbars eggs and 6 Wyandotte eggs in an incubator as we speak!!! Oh well...it wouldn't be nice if they were all the same would it?!
Is it time to retire yet?

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:00 pm »
Hi there. I've got a nice mix of girls to give me an interesting egg basket-3 RIR's, 3 cuckoo marans, 3 Welsummer's, 1 jersey giant and 1 crested legbar. Of my marans 2 lay a lighter egg but are very productive, the other one lays a beautiful dark egg, the Welsummers' eggs are deep terracotta. My legbar lays a baby blue egg.All mine are in together in a large sectioned off  area of the garden. I've never had issues with bullying, although, admittedly the RIR's and marans are more feisty. I think it all depends on the space they have. I've got some vorwerks and chocolate orpington bantams in my incy which are due in 10 days!! :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:03 pm »
We've always found that Cream Legbars started laying a good three weeks younger than any of the large, soft-feathered fowl we've kept.

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »
Kimbo, we got 3x cream legbars in April last year at 14 weeks. They didn't lay a single egg until the November but have been consistent layers since. The eggs are also a little on the small side at just under 60g compared to my hybrids who lay 80g eggs!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:10:26 am »
I've got two cream legbars, one araucana, two marans (cuckoo & copper black), a pair of dorkings, a lakenvelder, a light sussex and five Orpingtons (including a huge cockerel) all in together and have no problems - even between the two cockerels.

Of those, most of the interesting egg layers came from hatching eggs from South Yeo Farm in Devon. The best dark brown eggs are from the copper black Marans and the best blue eggs from the Araucana (CLB are bigger but the colour is less intense and one has some problems with shell quality).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS