Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treeless saddles - Fells  (Read 8345 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Treeless saddles - Fells
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
i know there are several people on here with Fells. I am trying to find an inexpensive saddle to fit my two. I tried the Thorn saddle pad but it gave me backache and wasn't comfortable on both ponies. I was recommended a Freemax saddle but they seem to be like hens teeth and I can't find a stockist.

Anyone recommend something? I use a racing saddle at moment as I don't want a Thelwell moment, slipping underneath!

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: Treeless saddles - Fells
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:13 am »
I loved my barefoot Cheyenne saddle, sometimes see them on ebay. but my spooks really badly and it slipped a few times.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:15:51 am »
Not sure you will find an inexpensive treeless. Problem with buying off ebay you don't know until you get it whether it will fit. Have you considered a synthetic? Lightweight and comfortable for the rider. Are you hoping one saddle will fit both your fells? Do you know that they are the same saddle fit?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:20:55 am »
I got a leather Trekker (treeless) off ebay for £250, which is the sort of standard price for a leather one of a decent make. (Don't get a cheapo one from India without a recommendation from someone.)
I got it for my cob pony and it was great. It also fits my mule. The beauty of a treeless is, that if you've checked the relevant sizes of you and your equine, then it will fit, because, as it says on the tin, it is treeless.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:23:09 pm »
Both my boys measure the same circumference round the middle but one is much flatter across the back than the other. The Freemax has memory foam in and moulds to their shape in 10 mins but I don't know if the cheap synthetic ones from India are the same.

I was going to try equitrek who allow you to try before you buy. I love the racing saddle coz it never moves but not ideal if I want to compete. I can't risk anything slipping as they occasionally spook as babies.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:18 pm »
Ive researched this quite a bit.
we have a Libra Trec.....its a synthetic but super-comfy and , I thought, very good value for money. Weve used it on a 17.1hh RID and a 14.2hh Highland. Works well on both. That's the beauty of Treeless.
We also have a MUCH more expensive Barefoot  Cherokee. Its beautifully comfy and is made of top quality leather but I dont like  the position of the stirrup bars and when I use my English stirrup leathers I get bruises on my inner thighs. The T-bar stirrup leathers are fine on the thigh but I dont like them either as they rub my calf!! Its so awkward that Im thinking of selling it  :-\

With all Treeless you need to watch for the stirrup bars putting too much pressure on the horse's back.
AND with a smaller-built horse I think they have a higher tendency to slip.
But if you have a horse who changes shape a lot, what are you going to do? Buy potentially 3 different saddles? That is what we would need for both our Highlands and our RID  :-\
Is it time to retire yet?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »
I should add...we use English stirrup leathers on the Libra Trec with no problem at all.....interesting
Is it time to retire yet?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:08 pm »
Treeless doesn't mean they will fit all. Yes. they might well fit a 17hh and a smaller cob and you might find two Fells will share one but don't forget the length too. Watch across the withers as often they spread and sit low. Some horses really don't like them.

Saddle fitting is a highly skilled job and if you can get a saddle that will fit both your ponies and you are saving the cost of one saddle I would recommend you get a saddle fitter out to advise you. They might suggest a saddle with an adjustable tree.

Being the same girth size only means one girth will do both.

What do you want to compete in?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:38:06 am »
I have a very expensive treeless saddle sitting in my cupboard that I will never ride on again.  It is too expensive to sell as no one will pay anywhere near the price I paid new and oh would have a dicky fit if I sold it for an eighth of what I paid, so it sits there quite happily.  They are like marmite for both horse and rider.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »
I won't do much more than dressage but mine are only 5 so just hacking and should be schooling at moment. I have a saddle fitter coming out in a couple of weeks with both tree and treeless to try. I was going to ask if the expensive ones are worth the money? She is bringing some second hand as well.

I spent £800 on a supposedly bespoke tree designed for Fells and I ended up round her ears twice and slipped several times! I definitely don't want a repeat with youngsters.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:04 am »
Let us know what the saddle fitter recommends for you. At least you get to see, try on and sit on lots of different saddles in one go and get good advice.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »
I would try and trial a few from different places to see what type you prefer, then buy secondhand if you can't go new, a better model secondhand, with a good pad,is better to get than a cheap new model.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:56 pm »
Very depressing really. I tried a few but the only one that felt safe, comfortable and didn't cause a bronking session was the Sensation English Trail. Unfortunately 2nd hand are like hens teeth and new is a bit pricy.

My smaller pony is very wide and flat making fitting darn near impossible. If anyone has one for sale get in touch! Now I need to get a cheap racing exercise saddle to see me through as I've sold the Thorn pad.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »
I'll be selling my Solution saddle soon if your interested.

I've got Sensations myself, I know a friend of mine was selling her Sensation Formal dressage saddle, if you are interested I can ask if she's still selling it?
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:55:32 pm »
Hi, yes I would be interested in the dressage one if selling, depending on price.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS