Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suitable fly repellent?  (Read 9794 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Re: Suitable fly repellent?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:20 pm »
Sounds interesting Waterbuffalofarmer! What are quassia chips and where would you get them from?
4 pet sheep

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 04:29:49 pm »
Sounds interesting Waterbuffalofarmer! What are quassia chips and where would you get them from?
Quassia chips are wood chips you have to soak them for about a couple of weeks or so and you can buy them from the herbal apothocary you make a tincture with them and then put a few drops of citronella oil in the tincture and spray on the sheep. Am not entirely sure how I made the tincture was a long time ago, try and look it up on the web.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »
Dynamite has citronella in it. You just dilute it in water and the bottle lasts for ages.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:57 pm »
If you ve not had a case of strike, and do this summer, you ll not worry about the chemicals, you ll use the products that really work. A horrible horrible thing to deal with, we ve had four now out of over 200 head ewes n lambs, despite being sprayed, side of haunches  the one we spotted and caught yesterday. I don't think I'd sleep if they had no real coverage, even though we are getting the odd one. They are checked daily......still waiting for shearer, sheep are up high in the wind, I hope he turns up this weekend, rain Friday night, so it could be Sunday....

The ewe lamb in question is fine, we had to be on our toes to catch her, but luckily I called the ewes down and they all came running down towards her, good girls, and we all surrounded her under some hawthorn, baz employing superb technique and now she s with a tiny group by the house.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:21:51 pm by Hellybee »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »
There's no reason to hold off Crovecting the lambs, as they won't be shorn this year.

Some handspinners don't mind Crovect, they'll just give the fleece a jolly good wash before starting to process it.  But of course you must declare it, and some handspinners (including this one) will not want to purchase it.

And of course, products which stain may also be acceptable, as many handspinners will dye the fleece in any case ;)   Again, you'd want to declare what has been used, and that it has stained the fleece.

You could also take an approach of Crovecting the breeches only, then making sure you skirt them hard so that all Crovected fleece is removed before the fleece is offered to a handspinner.  I'd still explain what you've done, though. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:12 am »
We use citronella oil to keep flies off calves in the shed.  Haven't had any problems so far.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:58 pm »
We ve had the call....shearing Friday hurrah !!!! :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 11:49:53 am »
We ve had the call....shearing Friday hurrah !!!! :excited:
Good for you, I sheared my sheep on sunday! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:02 am »
Mmmm it's just started to rain, praying it s only showers  :huff:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 10:26:22 pm »
All done! Beautiful day for it ! X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS