Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First quail eggs to hatch  (Read 3635 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
First quail eggs to hatch
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »
In-laws visited bearing gifts......24 quail eggs and an incubator :)

Never done this before but have read a wee bit. Any good sites other than this one that have good advice ?

They are in the incubator at 39'C and with one of the water trays full - RH holding at about 45%.

Seem okay ? Need to build a hutch for outdoors in the next few weeks.

Due to hatch on the same day the piggies arrive. Eventful day !

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: First quail eggs to hatch
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:58:14 pm »
An aviary is better as they do like to boing upwards without much warning, and you do  need to watch your numbers and ratios -the boys are sex pests and need plenty of ladies! I have a quail book that was a few £ and really useful, think its by Katie Thear but I'll have a look and update!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »
We have that book too.    It's well worth the few pounds.   Will tell you everything you need to know.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »
Ordered.

Thanks for the recommend.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
Just watch for rats.  Lost all of mine a few months ago.  Amazed at the tiny space they got through
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:29 am »
10 hatched out of 24 and 1 has succumbed since (was very poorly from day 1).

So 9 quails and they are ridiculously fast growing.

Need to make the quail hutch for outdoors soon I think.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:56:53 am »
Good luck with then - I'm Interested to see how you get on.

I gave mine up after the first hatch mainly because I didnt enjoy the eggs as much as I thought I would.
I also found they were all vicious little buggers and a bit smelly too.
I had to have a permanent isolation/recovery pen for the wounded.
I was surprised to find that none of mine lived longer than a year - they just dropped off their perches one by one - I thought at the time it may have been the cold weather but they were back indoors by then.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »
A year is about a normal life span for the hens. The cocks last a bit longer. I love the male's "crow"

Lukey

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:22 pm »
I keep Japanese Quail for Eggs, They do occasionally fight, but when they do, the go for the kill! Luckily I have always found them before it's to late, I have 8 Hens and a cock, The hens one day layed 13 eggs between them, They are prolific layers, I'll give them that! we pickle the eggs with sliced onion and garlic because they lay so many.
Mine are two years old next month, and they still lay a egg a day most days. Good Luck with your adventure with quail!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 12:43:49 am »
A lot of my breeders are at least two years old, I know some are around 4.

I usually lose the odd hen to prolapse throughout their lives but I keep most for at least 18 months and never notice any huge increase in mortality, don't actually know what their natural lifespan would be.

As with many birds or animals, giving them too much space will see them become territorial and you will see a lot of serious damage being caused as they defend their territory and mates, females will do this as well as males.

For 9 birds you could easily keep them in a 3' x 2' pen.

With them being raised together the males should be ok together but separating birds in and out will not work long term, if one needs removed due to injury don't put it back in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS