Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone in East Yorkshire that can show me theirs?  (Read 3950 times)

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
Anyone in East Yorkshire that can show me theirs?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »
Pigs that is!

Looking to get started, but reading a book is not the same as hands on.

Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Anyone in East Yorkshire that can show me theirs?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:56:50 am »
I'm not in Yorkshire unfortunately, but if you're ever up in Scotland you're more than welcome to come and meet my kunekunes  ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
If you're ever in Devon then you are welcome to come and see my GOS  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »
your catchy title reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons that shows Otto leaving 'the Pot Store' (the window was full of pots and pans). He shakes his head and says 'Man! That's flagrant false advertising!'

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »
There's a video clip on TAS somewhere of newly hatched chicks uner the heat lamp. Dan put it on flickr, I think, with the tag "Hot young chicks". It got lots of hits and not all from smallholders!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:00:21 am »
I'm a bit far away from you (France) but would like to applaud your idea of getting some hands on experience before taking on pigs. 

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:37 am »
I thought my catchy title would get you in!

I always like to get hands on before jumping in. I helped a local bee farmer for a while before starting my beekeeping 5 years ago, and so I wish to do the same with pigs.

I hear to many stories about people that get bees and they are dead 3 months later, would hate to think this happens with pigs?

I know a farmer that keeps normal pink pigs, but he is on a commercial scale so do not think his training would realy help me on a 2 pig scale? Although I suspect I could get a couple of runts of him.

But given the work load is the same, a more "rare" breed type of GOS (only one that springs to mind) will give me a better return and taste (?) than a pink commercial????

We have a small apple orchard and even though I make a lot of cider and apple juice, there are still loads of apples wasted that I thought would make a nice final feed to the pigs before pre Christmas slaughter.

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
Hi we are in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.  Our next lot of weaners are due to be collected on the 6th of March so you would be welcome after that date if you want to come and see us.

Deborah

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54:12 am »
We are beginners to this pig lark in East Yorkshire and I would love to swap beginner's stories with you.  New to this messaging service also so not sure how to contact you.  I am also finding that there are not many very small pig people around here. They do tend to be big commercial ones. we are expecting some piggies in mid March and are getting our farrowing house ready.  Very exciting!!! 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:01:03 am »
Hello and welcome. You will find lots of people on here that keep pigs and are always sharing their stories and advice.

hunter001

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »
Hi I'm near goole and would be happy to show you my two little rascals. i have read up like nobody's business. let me know if ya wanna pop in.

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »
Hi,
We are in Pickering, North Yorkshire and currently have 6 piggies, 2 Middle Whites and 4 GOS, they are 5 months old. you would be very welcome to visit for a chat.

Debbie

www.rosecroftrarebreeds.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS