Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new sheep owner  (Read 1919 times)

kerryanne1988

• Joined Apr 2015
new sheep owner
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:29 pm »
Hi all, i am hoping to get a couple of 2 shear zwarbles with lambs at foot in the next 2 weeks, i live on a rented farm and our landlord still works the farm as well as his own, so i know we have a holding number, any advice on the do's and don'ts would be great, i am aware i need to register for a flock number for them, but any advice on worming etc shearing, ear tagging and any general info you can think of would be great, i have basic farm experience as it is but have never owned my own flock until the upcoming weeks, thanks in advance

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: new sheep owner
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:00 am »
Hello there, check they're worming status, most worm as a precaution during a quarantine period.  There many things as people will add, but one thing that's coming up soon is blowfly season.   You will have a choice of several sprays and some pour ons.  As for shearing  ( speak to local farmers as to when they shear and get all they're shearers numbers, maybe offer to help them a little to curry favour ;)  )

Most shearers won't touch a sheep if they've Ben sprayed within about 6-8 weeks, so if you spray make sure it's a shorter acting product to co incide with shearing.

You could always trim out backends too and also keep an eye on shoulder, nape of neck too during the blowfly season. Don't want to scare you  :eyelashes:

:wave:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: new sheep owner
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:49 am »
Barrier treat them for everything you can think of/keep them away from landlords sheep so as not to cause trouble... squirt them for flies...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS