Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with Soay Sheep  (Read 2940 times)

coombsey

• Joined Apr 2015
Help with Soay Sheep
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:07:22 pm »
Hello all, Just taken on a small holding with some Soay sheep. 3 Ewes have all just lambed but one of the lambs seems to just lay down away from the mum. The mum keeps calling for it as she walks around the field. The Lamb was born on Sunday and has been feeding. Just concerned as the mum seems to be getting distressed. 

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Re: Help with Soay Sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:49 pm »
I'm a newbie too, but I can say that a couple of our ewes did have a week or so of crazy calling and baaing for no apparent reason. Have you seen the lamb feeding frequently? Whereabouts are you?
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

coombsey

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:16 pm »
Thank you for the reply, we are in Dorset. We have seen the Lamb feed but he then goes and lays down on his own whilst the mother walks round calling him. Have watched him tonight and he has stayed with mum so hopefully will sort itself out.   

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:36 pm »
How old are you lambs?
I've seen this happen a few times with my Soays, the mum walks off grazing, lamb dozes off, and when she realises she's walked on a bit and calls and there is no immediate response from dozing lamb she can go a bit crazy. If she looks after her lamb otherwise, if she is walking around with it at other times then probably all is OK.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:34:54 pm »
The hunkering down in a quiet spot is a wild reaction - deer do it, and wild cattle for example.  Once the lamb's stomach is full it goes for a snooze, out of sight of predators.  I didn't notice the bawling mums with my Soay particularly, but we have a 15 y.o. ewe this year, with a single lamb, who is forever charging about the place yelling for him, with her fleece streaming behind her.  Meanwhile he's either happily snoozing under a hay heck, or off playing with his mates.

If though the lamb is lethargic all the time, and doesn't feed with any enthusiasm, then you need to check it out more closely
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

coombsey

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:04 pm »
Thank you all for your help. I have been watching the mum and lamb and both seem to be okay with the lamb feeding well. I think it is a case of the lamb having a Knapp as he can always be found under the hedge when the mum is calling. If you shoo him out he then goes straight to mum. I think it is newbie nerves.......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS