Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fruit trees in tescos  (Read 27804 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
fruit trees in tescos
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:53 am »
i don't know if its everywhere but our tesco's has been selling fruit trees at £7.50 now i know they are not going to be as good as ones from the garden centre. but we bought 2 damsons, 2plums 2 verities and two cherries 2 verities. they were also selling apples and pears. they look pretty good. but even if only a couple live were quids in we would be paying close to 30 quid for one in the garden centre.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: fruit trees in tescos
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:02:14 am »
They must add 50p on to deliver up to your Tesco, cos ours are £7 in local Tesco.  I am wondering about them too.  Seen some in the garden centre and they were £19 each.  We had a lovely Victoria plum tree, and for some reason it died, so would love another plum tree.

I suppose its worth trying the Tesco ones .....if they don't grow perhaps we could complain and get a refund.  Well, you would if you bought a toaster from there, and found it did not work wouldn't you!!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:09:54 am »
We got some from Lidl last year, I'm sure they were less than a fiver each.
They're still growing - no casualities yet  ;)
I would tend to think that the quality of both Tesco and the garden centre ones would be the same - just Tesco have massive buying power and are able to negotiate (or dictate ::)) a better price on them.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »
Now you tell me! I have to go and check and see if they've got some at my Tesco (or Lidl). That's definitely a lot cheaper than buying them from garden centres, although you can get some bargains off ebay if you're lucky, I've been told  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:01:04 pm »
I get mine from Morrison's - around a fiver too - and the only casulaties were the two my dogs got a hold of and pulled out just after they were planted.  However, even they have started growing from below the root stock (apple trees) so I've left them to see what grows ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:23:40 pm »
some of our apple trees were £5 from Poundland, and alot of the boundary hedging!
Just abit smaller than garden centre ones.
Little Blue

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:51 pm »
£5 from poundland ? WTF ? ..... is it me ? I think you were done ... you should go and ask for 4 quid back !!!! ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »
I've planted my little orchard with Lidl and Aldi trees (4.99 and 3.99). Casualties are probably  more than tree quality due to s**t weather soaking the lawn into a sponge  - now a frozen sponge - let's hope and watch out for life ! If there are  going to be gaps to be filled, I'll get a Damson and maybe a Red Devil.  :&>

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:59:09 pm »
one of the reasons why they are so cheap is cos at the garden centre they have the rootstocks numbered and traceable so you know exactly what you will end up with,whereas the tescos ect ones are just named varities and without the rootstocks named.but if you dont need to worry about space ect,you will get a bargain,but if you need to know exactly how high,wide ect best get ones from  a supplier.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:05 pm »
well, that does explain how I manged to get a crab apple I am 100% sure I did not buy (I don't do ornamental,lol)  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »
It might give you lots of fruit, Kerstin, mine did!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:42:22 pm »
they are tiny wee bright red bullets, lol. Last year I hsd 2 black binliners of Bramleys from the school to process, maybe this year I'll make jelly from them. :&>

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

I used to have a crab apple in my garden and it kept the hens and birds happy all winter as we used to leave the fruit for them.
Anne

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:51:32 am »
I wondered where they had gone, maybe he ducks ate them  ;D

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:27 pm »
Went to my local Tescos yesterday after your tip and bought a worcester pearmain - 2 lord lambournes (all eating apples) and 2 bramleys - Its so exciting and then on to poundland where I spent a massive £10 and came home with a mixed assortment of 10  gooseberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant, bramble plants - RESULT !!!!!!!!! fingers crossed now. Also checked the moon planting info and next Saturday is ideal for planting them . Somebody somewhere is on our side!I love spring
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS