Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit trees from Aldi, Netto etc  (Read 4672 times)

Bury Lad

• Joined Jul 2009
Fruit trees from Aldi, Netto etc
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:38 am »
Are these bargain fruit trees any good? there seems to be a lot of budget stores selling these trees at the moment just wondered if anyone had bought any last year with good results?....or is the first year too early to tell?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fruit trees from Aldi, Netto etc
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:13:52 am »
I've bought them a  few times - when I built my house in Aberdeenshire the budget was getting tight and I was allowed the VAT back on landscaping including plants so I went on a shopping spree at Morrisons down the road and planted out the whole garden(half an acre) including 4 apple and 2 plum trees for £70, got £14 of that back from the nice VAT man, and a good few apples in the first year. When I sold it 2 years later there were 25 apples and 5 plums.
When I moved down here 2 years ago I planted some more and they had teensy wee apples last summer, so maybe I'll get some better ones this year (provided the roots don't get waterlogged again with this weather).
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:12 am »
We bought them from Aldi last year and planted a small orchard! they are all growing well apart from 1, we bought some fruit bushes this year too, fantastic value for money go for it!

Bury Lad

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:10 pm »
Cheers chaps, i was thinking of growing them in large pots, i heard that way encourages more fruit because of the restriction of the root bowl dont know if its true or not.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:08:19 am »
you may want to spend a bit more and get a really dwarfing verity.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS