Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Public Liability Insurance  (Read 4808 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Public Liability Insurance
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:26:05 pm »
At the moment we do not have any Smallholder specific Public Liability Insurance but have been thinking, what if ... pigs, cattle or sheep were to get out?

What do other smallholders do? Do you have Public Liability Insurance? If so who are you insured with and what does it cost?

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Public Liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »
We're with Stuart benger and pay about £200 a year.  It includes the cover we need to sell at farmers markets and some cover for loss of produce as well as covering our livestock and equipment. Greenland's are also good.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:05 pm »
The property is with the NFU and we have been told that the equines and sheep are covered with the house as pets.

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »
We are also covered through Stuart & Benger.Same as hafod but it also covers our buildings.Very helpful company always easy to talk to.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:24:00 pm »
Thank you for your replies, companies noted and I'll follow up. If anyone else has any comments to add they would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Carolswoolies

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:48 pm »
National Farmers Union have proved to be helpful and competitive.
Good luck.   

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:55 pm »
I've got NFU coming round tomorrow to discuss public liability. We don't have big animals (although the ganders are a danger at this time of year) but more in the context of the new holiday cottage and covering stuff like our trampoline & zip wire. Apparently they wouldn't be covered under their normal public liability so 'we' are going to look into (probably expensive) options.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:34:04 am »
We're with NFU Mutual for the house insurance and have just extended it to cover public liability and loss of animals for the smallholding. It's costing approx. an extra £100 a year.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 06:09:23 pm »
Hi Pete,

I've just received a public liability quote from the NFU this week.

They are a no quibble pay out firm that stand by their customers and the fact you can actually go into your local branch and speak to an actual person!

I've had it tailored to suit my place and situation as I wanted a non standard product.
It covers me for me working on other farms, as well as my 50 sheep, tools, rented buildings, etc, etc and gives me loss of earnings cover as well as goods in transit etc.

It works out at £535/year compare that to public liability ins that you need to work self employed on others farms at £465 it makes the extra £70 for the cover seem good value!

The only down side is that the sheep trailer isn't insured but can be added onto my car policy if I renew with the NFU.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:19 pm »
Thank you all, replies read with interest. NFU are getting a big thumbs up but others also worth investigating.  As before, any other recommendations / experiences welcome.

Pete

Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS