Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joan has farrowed!  (Read 5232 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Joan has farrowed!
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
I spent a lot of time cleaning a lovely big foaling stable and settling Joan in... She farrowed Wednesday night having barged out of this and sauntered determinedly to the pig sty at the other end of the plot.... which I HADN'T cleaned!  She has 11 live piglets and one deformed piglet.  I have fed and watered her but am leaving her alone because I don't want her to trample the piglets in an effort to get to food quickly.... something she did to one last time.

Now how do i get her back in the foaling stable or do I give up and clean the other pig sty and just try and move her to that....

This time I am only keeping what I need and will try and sell the others as weaners..

Now I think of these as Essex Saddleback but no sirree I am wrong, that line died out and I am a fraudster for perpetuating that lie (copyright 2012 some very expert pig guy on here) 

For peace then I will say they are British Saddlebacks although unregistered (am I even allowed to say that without the wrath of pig people?)

If that statement is two controversial she is a black pig with a white saddle as are all of her piglets  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Joan has farrowed!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »
Do we get to see piccies?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »
She WASN'T supposed to farrow in here... it hasn't been cleaned since last year! it's the old sty  >:(  I'm ashamed of the picture

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »
Its the piggies we want to see not the sty. They look a nice size  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »
Not actually done this myself but a friend had a pig farrow where it shouldn't. He gently collected the piglets in a large box. Keeping a close eye on Mum then slowly carried them to where he wanted them with Mum following.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »
I am DEFINITELY not doing that with Joan!!  :roflanim: :roflanim:My plan is to clean the sty next door tomorrow and fill it full of hay and see if she moves herself.  By tomorrow they should be coming out of the door anyway.  Joan is a fiesty Mum and I'm not brave enough to risk her wrath!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:43 pm »
You know your pig!  :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:44 am »
What may be a "pig sty" to us is a des. res. to a new piggy mum. A lovely litter of pigs  :pig: :pig:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:10:12 am »
I think I would see if she would follow her feed just out the door of the sty she is in, for long enought for you to re-bed the sty she has clearly chosen, with dry disinfectant sprinkled over the base first.  I wouldn't be arguing with her either!  Congratulations on her piglets! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS