Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which dog is favourite  (Read 22226 times)

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
Re: Which dog is favourite
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 02:00:19 am »
Just found this thread and had to add my tuppence hapenny! I have had other breeds, but I am now completely addicted to Briards! They are such characters, hugely loyal and very, very funny. My 2 current ones are Sadie who is black, and Gordy (10 months) , a fawn. They are both fascinated by all the farm animals, but not allowed to 'play' with them. Yet.!!
First pic is Sadie and my gorgeous boy Chewy in Cairns-I lost him tragically to a paralysis tick.
Second pic is Gordy, the pup. A joyful, naughty hairy bundle of mischief who I adore.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

My GWP did this on Saturday - but to be honest not her fault.  The German breeds are sharper than most as a rule, and my dog sitter seemed to think as Hester is such a 'lovely friendly little doggie' (She's NOT little for a  start! Yes, she is friendly - with people!) it was all right to let her out the front to 'play' with the ducks and chickens.  She was in tears when she phoned me to say Hess had got on of my ex batts.  I ask you!
oh man, nightmare, isn't it? so sad when this happens. my dog was in an awful lot of trouble afterwards, doesn't deter him though... they are hunting dogs and all people say it's in their blood- fair enough, not a good consolation after you lost one of your favourite chickens though, is it? he's got quite a knack for getting my favourites as well, god knows how he does it... little sod. still love him... god knows why- i think it's their beard and lovely temperament with people; he loves everybody and they love him back.  :P
[/quote]

This is an old thread.  I lost Hester last year - think it  was April/May, still miss her loads.  Have been offered pick of litter in both Wireys and my other Breed Brittanys this summer.  Think I'll go for the little 'un. ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:20:46 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:25 pm »
I suspect it probably won't be too tricky guessing what my favourite is!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Sandy

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »
Sad seeing Wizards post, such a wonderful man, how things change but still love the Labs and miss my little pups, cannot waite for the next litter, we will be all ready with a new room to use as a nursery as well!!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
After Sheba chased off a potential thief & definitely trespasser yesterday ... my vote is still & always German Shepherds, all the way!  :thumbsup:
Little Blue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2012, 11:26:47 pm »
For me, any dog can make it's home here and will be loved, but the german shepherd has a special place in my heart. It is truly loyal. It is not excellent at any one thing but is very good at most things (training permitting). Herding,tracking,guarding,retrieving, . ( except 6mth old 'obi' who is only good at disobedience  and has forgotten all his puppy training!! The adolescent dog!!  ::)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:18 am »
Having had German Sheperds in the past they are my favorite breed, an all over good dog to have around. We have also had Red Setters, now have a collie and jack russell. All my dogs have been trained to be well behaved and to me that is the key training. Taught well from the start and most dogs behave and are great .  I know that our Jack Russell would like nothing better than to grab a hen but he hates being in my bad books so controls the urge. Our setters loved to find them bu never chased, neither did the German Shepherds.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS