Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ticks on dogs  (Read 32247 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Ticks on dogs
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 08:34:54 pm »
neat teatree oil is a bit risky. i know you should not put it on humans neat. is it safe if the animal licks it as ingestion is toxic.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22:14 pm »
As I said back in March, prevention is better than cure.  I wouldn't use neat tea tree near my dogs.  Have frontlined all of mine.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 07:23:08 am »
We get the odd Tick on our spaniel the vet recommended an 'O tom' remover.  So far I have to say it has been fantastic no yanking the tick out and she doesn't even seem to notice.  Its like a wee crochet hook that you just slip round the side of the tick and it slides out.  We got ours from the local vet for only a couple of pounds.

http://www.otom.com/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 10:33:52 am »
I have tick remover but it's a spring clip sort of thing - that looks a lot easire to use.  Thanks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »
We've got the same tool as Gillian and it works really well - you king "unscrew" the tick.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:49 am »
My son had a tick on his back after helping hay making! Smothered it in Jack Daniels and held it with tweezers till it let go! ( hubby was not impressed Its his JD)!

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21:49 am »
ShetlandPaul, there are two aromatheraphy oils that can safely be used neat, those are Lavender and tea tree, not risky at all, have used this as a tick remedy for years and have used it neat on myself and other people and countless animals. Studied and qualified in aromatheraphy and had my own business making remedies for people and animals so have a little idea of what will work  :)

It is brilliant for removing ticks from dogs and natural too. Many uses for it and that is just one of them. And no its not toxic have used it to gargle which is pretty horrendous taste but gets rid of a bad sore throat.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
My friend told me not to use any alcohol or oils as it suffocates the tick and it regurgitates whats in its stomach increasing the chance that it passes on such things like lyme disease or Q fever into the dog/human etc.    I will stick with my otom for now. x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS