Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ticks on dogs  (Read 32244 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Ticks on dogs
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:35:07 am »
I feel a bit daft asking this question since I have had dogs for years but -

We have a Basset Fauve de Bretagne that we rescued from the Passeralls about a month ago.  His coat is totally different from our other dogs, and although they all walk in the same areas, he, Ody, is absolutely covered in fleas and ticks.  I have injected him and the other dogs of course, and have checked all of them thoroughly, but he is the only one with the problem.

My question is, when the ticks die which they will after this parasite injection, will they fall out or am I going to have to get them all out?  I don't know how I am going to do it because of the quantity on him -if I run may hands over his body he is lumpy, that is how bad he is infected. 

I feel awful, because my dogs are treated regularly as advised by the vet with the injectable solution I have also from the vet.

I check the dogs regularly and of course am made aware if any of them have any when they get cuddled etc which is all the time - I love them to death, and there is only ever an odd one which I pull out, ususally on the Jack Russell Daisy.  I only noticed on Ody last evening so they have grown really fast.  A horrible situation for him to be in.

Any advice gratefully received.

Kate  :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:38:22 am by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Ticks on dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:35 am »
removal of tick can be done by putting a heat/flame source at their bums but not sure what to do when they are dead, or large amounts. ok scrap what i just typed
did some googling

this is for human but i can't see any difference for animals.

The old methods of burning the tick with a hot match, or covering it with nail polish, Alcohol, lighter fluid, or other chemicals, can cause the tick to vomit more lyme bacteria into the bite site. Using fingers or blunt tweezers to remove it can squeeze the tick’s abdomen and also inject more bacteria into a person. A research study found that all these methods make a person more likely to contract lyme disease. Remove ticks with fine-pointed tweezers, available at some drug stores, or a tick remover tool, available on the internet or from the Lyme Association of Greater Kansas City. It is difficult to remove the tiny nymphs with tweezers without squeezing the tick’s body. Nymphs cause most cases of lyme disease.

The safest way to remove a tick is by sliding something under it, such as a credit card (which doesn’t always work) or a tick remover. Grasp the tick as close to the mouth (the point of attachment) as possible and pull it straight out slowly, allowing the tick about a minute or 2 to release itself. It doesn’t need to be turned or twisted out. If mouthparts are left in the skin, they can be removed with a sterile needle or by a doctor. If they are not removed, they will work their way out of the body in a few days, but may cause itching. If you are camping and must remove a tick by hand, use a leaf or btssue to avoid touching the tick with your bare hands. Don’t squeeze the gut. After removing a tick, disinfect the bite site and tool, and wash your hands with antibacterial soap.

http://www.lymefight.info/removal.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:55:11 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 06:38:09 pm »
There are loads Fluffy' - I mean loads!  I couldn't possibly use this method I would burn him alive.

I know it is important to get the heads out but there are so many, I did think about just combing him in the morning. They should be dead by then after his injection. OMG it is a horrible situation, I just cannot understand it, none of the other 5 - yes 5, have any at all, he has everyones share I think.

Kate  :dog:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:46:55 pm »
o don't burn they  that the wrong thing to do now apparently.
Could you ask the vet the place where you got the injection from ????

Linz
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:19:55 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:31:17 pm »
The injections come from the vet. I use them instead of frontline because it is cheaper for me because I have such a houseful of animals here.

Getting them out is the problem when they are dead.

Will have to phone up on Monday I think and see what they suggest.

Kate  :dog:

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »
With so many,the only thing I can think of,is that after the injection has worked,and if the heads still stay in (although I think they're more likely just to drop off all together,why would they all commit mass self-decapitation?) would be a bath then a good rub down with tea-tree oil. Any other sort of antiseptic might be too strong an irritant if dosed all over his body. Possibly repeating the treatment if necessary. The heads of lice if they do stay in are only just another foreign body the skin has to eject,like a splinter. It's a difficult one this,with so many, I sympathise, but please let us know what the vet says and how he gets on...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:58:03 am »
Oh Kate poor Ody, aren't ticks just the most awful things?? I found one on Sidney, our mini Schnauzer the other day and managed to get a pair of hairspring tweezers (used in watchmaking/ repairing) under it and lifted it off.

I guess as MrRee says they are hardly likely to commit self decapitation so they may all fall out intact.

Let us know how you go and bon courage!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 11:11:16 am »
We use frontline and revolution on all our cats and dogs, revolution is more expensive but is worth the extra pennies as it protects against certain things that frontline dosen't in cats more than dogs!!

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/fleaandtickprevention

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/dogsupplies/products__keyword--flea+tick+treatment+dogs.html

Preventic collars: These tick prevention collars for dogs consist of a thin strap of plastic impregnated with amitraz. This slowly liberates the product in a sufficient concentration to kill all four common ticks (Brown Dog Ticks, American Dog Ticks, Lone Star Ticks and Deer Ticks) for up to three months. The dog should be inspected daily for ticks in high-risk areas. Take care not to allow the dog to chew on the collars, as they can be quite poisonous if ingested.

Revolution: Revolution is effective against the American Dog Tick - it makes no claim regarding the other 3 common ticks found in the US. The label warns that in heavy tick infestations, complete tick efficacy may not be achieved after the first dose, so an additional dose may be given two weeks after the first dose, with monthly dosing continuing thereafter. In dogs, Revolution is also effective against fleas, heartworm, ear mites, and sarcoptic mange.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070526144615AAT8MPz

Quite a few links but hope it all helps! let us know what you do and how you get on!  ;D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:53:48 pm »
Many thanks for all the help and advice.  In the end they did fall off, so all my worries were unfounded.

I am such a panicer!

My mission is to source natural medications now, not only for the indoor animals but for the pigs as well.

I am sure there is a section on here about that. I wll have to trawl the forum and find it.

Thanks everyone

Kate  ;) :)

Stefan

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:54:50 pm »
Did you find anything natural that works? I'd be interested as I have 3 dogs that will be living on 25 acres infested with ticks from July...
I don't like the idea of covering my dogs in chemicals, we are moving there to have a healthier life style...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Stefan

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:21 pm »
we mainly have a problem with cats, if its only a few vaseline works well,smother it and they tend to let go

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 10:26:49 pm »
I think getting them off is less of a problem than what they have injected into the animal prior to that - lyme disease.  That is why it is better to have the protection in place so the ticks don't hold on and inject.  Frontline and revolution make the animal unpalatable.  I've just noticed Rio - male ginger Tom(ette) - came in tonight minus his collar so I have another trip to the shops tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:44:58 am »
I have just come across this.... Amazing what you can stumble across
Qoute
but I was fascinated to read on more than one site, that keeping Guinea Fowl helps rid your land of ticks! They consume them in great numbers and over large areas
unquote

I have no idea if it works but I would love to try

only problem of being employed I have to get permission  >:(
Ian

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »
My son had Lyme disease and it really isn't nice.

Anyway back to the topic, getting rid of ticks is easy on dogs - neat tea tree oil poured onto the tick, they hate it. Tick comes out head and all, hey presto, just look out for the tick laying around!

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
Sorry meant to say, tea tree is also a natural antiseptic and is absolutely brilliant for getting rid of anything nasty that the dog may have picked up from the bite. Not sure it goes as far as lyme disease but I use it for loads of things including cleaning out sheep pens etc etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS