Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Current sheep prices!  (Read 2687 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Current sheep prices!
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:40 am »
Sedgemoor market on Saturday saw some staggering prices for both cull ewes and orphan lambs.  £152 for cull ewes with average of £103 for the 1111 sold and orphan lambs to £69 with the majority going above £34.  An unbelievable trade! 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Current sheep prices!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:23:33 am »
We had trouble getting hold of orphan lambs this year, it seems a lot of farmers have kept on a few rather than letting them go. But can't help but think come autumn these prices will fall when the quantities of lambs going through increases? It is great though, we sold store bullocks through market a couple of months ago for some of the best prices we've had in a long time. Beef still hasn't come up though  :(

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:59 am »
Seems to be a lot of orphan/spare lamb sales going on via facebook now.  In fact, there's a dedicated website to it with lambs available throughout the country.  Not really a huge fan of facebook, but it is pretty amazing what is on there!

Lady aga

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »
That's more then my in lamb ewes cost me and we have had three sets of triplets so far and a two had pairs

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
my local mart at home has pet lambs sell last week for £15-£45, culls made £140 and i sold my first batch of spring lambs and the price was round £95 ...definitely good prices at the moment for anyone selling!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
was told last week by abb grader its due to pick-up in export orders and also for some unknown reason, higher sales in the UK - apparently they've got "Buyers for anything, crap, bones, butter and of course the good uns too"

Apparently the recession has killed alot of supply chain in some EU countries, and also the middle east is sucking in lamb and mutton. Always good for us!

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:22:33 am »
I got some pretty good prices for hoggets this March at Shrewsbury, even a couple 'lacking flash' due to their Gotland breeding fetched £72, I was amazed at that.  Early spring always a better time to sell anyway
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS