Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mushrooms, lovely mushrooms  (Read 4485 times)

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
Mushrooms, lovely mushrooms
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:01:41 am »
Is there a mushroom guru out there?

I have what seems to be a good place for growing mushrooms.  It is a slightly delapidated and leaky wooden garage.  It has an earth floor which is usually damp. So it offers are darkish environment, protection from the wind and a humid atmosphere.  I've bought the spoors and will be scattering them in boxes of compost.  Growing seems easy enough.  The question is how do I produce and collect more spoors?  Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Mushrooms, lovely mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:39:54 am »
Get yourself a copy of "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Stamets and then think sod it it's easier to buy them  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:35:47 pm »
Get yourself a copy of "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Stamets and then think sod it it's easier to buy them  ;D

..in keeping with my past experiences.
I was going to try it the lazy way and stick some mycelia in the field and trust to luck.. and then found a few come up anyway. A shame they're so seasonal that way.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:03:36 pm »
I have to say - I have tried a few times with mushrooms - various different approaches and techniques - and have come to the same conclusion as Clydesdaleclopper 
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:53 pm »
I have to say - I have tried a few times with mushrooms - various different approaches and techniques - and have come to the same conclusion as Clydesdaleclopper

Same here  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 12:31:38 am »

Same here  :roflanim:

And me.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:28:05 pm »
I bought a mushroom growing kit once, never got any mushrooms though  :( Hope you have better luck
________
Caroline

K2

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:17:12 am »
Thanks for your comments, all.  Sounds good advice just to buy them (£2 for a whopping box in Chorley market) but this sounds like a challenge!  Let battle commence!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
we will not be beaten!!
If you just looked at the economics none of us would be doing any of this stuff  ::)

Lets get growing!!
Is it time to retire yet?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:47:45 pm »
we will not be beaten!!
If you just looked at the economics none of us would be doing any of this stuff  ::)

Lets get growing!!

it's not the economics but the sheer difficulty of producing and collecting mushroom spawn
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:42 am »
Learn how to make the ideal mushroom compost  and a sterile capping of fine sieved loam .
 Then learn how to grow the mushroom culture in almost sterile conditions ..... after that it's a doddle .

Making the compost is not too difficult but getting the CO2 level & humidity right  is
 An open to the elements outside raised bed say a foot thick in well made compost that has plenty of heat left in  it with the culture crumpled and sprinkled over then covered in the capping helps .  If you use gypsum ( builders common pink plaster works OK )  to get & keep the heat up in the compost  make sure there is no mould inhibitor in it .

When collecting the components for the compost ensure that none of the animals have eaten any fodder or comes from any bedding straw that has be treated with any hormonal weed control, as this stays active in the compost even after passing through the animals for four or more years and kills off the mycellium.

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS