Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using pot eggs  (Read 2608 times)

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
Using pot eggs
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »
I am getting about 4 eggs a day from the girls now and just take them out each day without much of a thought. I read recently on the site someone who placed pot eggs in so the hens kept laying and even one person who used golf balls. Do these really work and if so what is the benefit?

Thanks Rob ;D.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Using pot eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:23:00 pm »
if you take all the eggs away ducks. geese will definatly lay somewhere else and you have to find the nest, hens may do the same so you leave a china egg in its nest, i recently got about 10 alabaster and wooden  eggs from a charity shop multi coloured but it doesnt matter........... also if you have a broody but not enough eggs (12) for it to sit on you put the false eggs or golf balls under it to sit on for a few days and swop for 12 fertile eggs when you have enough so they hatch all togther
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:25:02 pm by harry »

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:11:34 pm »
Thanks Harry thats great, i will have to get some.

Rob ;D.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:23:06 pm »
Never used them - apart from one hen, I don't think they lay anywhere else.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:39 pm »
Well Sandy found a treasure trove of duck eggs recently, and I had a hen lay 7 eggs against a hedge instead of in their nest box
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:49:17 pm »
as I said in the other thread - the marble ones (charity shop) work particularly well. It must have to do with the shape. The white clay ( from the Highland Show) eggs are ignored by the ducks after only a few days and they get back to their old ways - hiding them in the garden!
[move] :&> :&> :&>[/move]

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:49 pm »
the kids keep finding new! nests and mixing the eggs in. a bit annoying as they all then have to go. we sell to shops so we can't risk it. the cocks are all fighting and the geese are hishing so spring is nearly here well in a month or two. the orst is stepping on some really old ones.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »
i found about 50 in the long grass once , all chucked away.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 01:32:52 pm »
Got my pot eggs (actually solid rubber) delivered this morning and have placed them in the normal laying boxes hoping to get a few more eggs. Will keep you updated.

Rob ;D.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS