Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 24hrs old ewe lamb having difficulty peeing ?  (Read 4171 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
24hrs old ewe lamb having difficulty peeing ?
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:23:15 pm »
Hi - as the title says ..... ewe lamb born last night about 7pm - up and sucking quickly, full belly and contented.  This morning passed some nice orange poo, but seemed to squat for a long time trying to pee and only a dribble came out.    This afternoon - noticed her abdomen looks slightly 'dropped' and her abdomen is sort of full looking.   She is getting up, toddling over to mum and drinking, not looking miserable or anything, however her twin sister is much bouncier.

This lamb was first born, ewe was a bit clumsy when lamb no. 2 arrived (in her desperation to make sure it was cleaned up and looked after - she could have stepped on her?  Could there maybe be some internal swelling?  I do have metacam and a mini (insulin) syringe having had a previous 'gurgly chest lamb (born backwards) - should I use that in case it might help?

Precious ewe lamb as born to one of my best ewes who had a full uterine prolapse last year, survived, wasn't expected to get in lamb and yet here she is with twins.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 24hrs old ewe lamb having difficulty peeing ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
Only just seen this, hopefully by now you have a solution? No idea what to do though. If she has been stepped/lain on she would be in pain when you palpate the abdomen? I find tubing lambs/kids normally produces a wee down my legs.... or just have them on my lap after a feed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:36:15 am »
I would be inclined to take this one straight along to the vet, as she's precious.  Maybe a problem with the urethra. 

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:35:17 pm »
You have probably read this thread, but it may be relevant ! Just something to check?
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=57842.0

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »
Hope all goes well  :bouquet:

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »
Thanks for your replies everyone  :thumbsup:   Well ..... monitored closely and she has continued to get up and suck and the toddling about got a bit livelier today.  Gave her bum a good clean up (impressive bright orange!) and although the squatting still seems a wee bit exaggerated she was definitely peeing better by the afternoon  :excited:   Even saw a tiny little stretch on evening check.   :fc: Hopefully she will continue to improve but will of course pop her over to the vet if need be. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS