Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Umbilical cord problem, any advice? UPDATE  (Read 3049 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Umbilical cord problem, any advice? UPDATE
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:20 am »
2 week old cade ram had an umbilical cord that was dry and string like.  Yesterday am. I noticed a swelling in the cord beside its navel which contained a clearish fluid, by midday the umbilical cord had re-hydrated and filled with fluid, looking like a little sausage.  Before I got him to the vets the umbilical had emptied leaving a now soft cord.  Now when peeing there is dribbles from the cord.   Vets diagnosis is the normal closing of the bladder to the umbilical when born has failed or reverted.  Other than an expensive operation its wait and see if it cures itself.  Vet gave A/B (Noroclav) and I will continue with daily injection to fight off any infection.  Vets advice is to keep it as dry and clean as possible.
Anyone any ideas to aid recovery ?

UPDATE:
First 2 days after seeing the vet , umbilical cord rubbery and dribbles of urine coming through when he pee’d.  3rd day umbilical cord dry and no dribbles.  Umbilical cord now dry and shrivelled.  Peeing from where he should albeit a succession of dribbles rather than a stream.  Hopefully all is well and his ‘flow’ will improve with age.  Apart from this he’s bouncing with health.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:44:10 am by EP90 »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Umbilical cord problem, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:31 am »
Never encountered this one but would recommend keeping it penned for a while so it doesn't start bouncing around too much.  Wouldn't breed from it.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: Umbilical cord problem, any advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
He’s penned inside so I can watch him.  He’s destined for the freezer,  I just want to do the best for him before then, but If infection sets in then…. :(

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: Umbilical cord problem, any advice? UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »
Up dated the original post   :relief:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Umbilical cord problem, any advice? UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:54:57 pm »
Sounds promising  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS