Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first egg  (Read 2130 times)

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
first egg
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »
hi just wanted to know when hens first lay do they go straight into brooding , got 10 point off lay isa browns on 10th jan had first egg this morning but hen not happy i took it and is now sitting on her nest

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: first egg
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:52:26 pm »
My girls have started again - at last. winter may be over!  3 eggs today!  Still no ducks though I think they are on strike!

Hi Vickylou, your hen may be broody but I haven't found that it is particularly when they start laying. Did you try to move her out or just leave her? 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:13:31 pm »
She may just be sulking?!
ISA browns (warrens) shouldnt go broody too much, though we have one that seems to now and again. It is more of a sulk though! 
Little Blue

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:25 pm »
hi she has decided to move all the straw from the other nesting boxes into one a sit there attacking any thing that goes near her , rung my brother has he keeps hens and his lost as to why !!! she acting like this hoping for more eggs though lol

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »
put some thick gloves on!  Move her & remove eggs, replace with pot ones until she decides to shift
does sound broody
Little Blue

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:25 pm »
thanks little blue , grrr and she only just oldenth to lay eggs oh well its all fun

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS