Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeling downhearted  (Read 10178 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
feeling downhearted
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »
Had a difficult birth last night, large tup stuck in mum, head out and leg out. Manages to get it back in and correctly position but had already called for a vets assistance. Pulled one rather large lamb out eventually, unable to revivehim. Poor ewe is very sore and down, given pain rrelief last night and alamycin today.

Vet was an absolute a&%e as well.

I'm so gutted, so many what ifs and totally beating myself up. Haven't tried to get a spare for her as she seems so down. More experienced shepherds are telling me to get her one, I just don't think with what she's hone through that its fair to shove a lamb at her  :'(

Now I've got a twin bearer who has a prolapse hanging out when she gets up, but it goes back in,

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: feeling downhearted
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
 :hug:  :bouquet:

We all get days like this.  Don't dwell on the sad stories, there'll be more good ones than sad ones.

If you still have the dead lamb, you could show it to her and see what her reaction is.  If she clearly wants to mother it, then it may be that a lamb will give her something to get well for, and make her recovery more speedy.  If she's disinterested, then you may be right and she needs peace and quiet to get over it at her own pace.  Personally I will always try to set a lamb onto them, because I genuinely think they do better with something else to think about.  But she's your ewe and if your gut instinct is telling you different, you do what you think is right.   :hug:

IME, the prolapse will get bigger and start to stay out. so you'll have to keep a close eye on that one.  It's not a big deal to fit a spoon or a harness, and she'll lamb fine if you do that, but of course it's generally held to be a bad idea to keep such a ewe on for another lambing. :(

It will get better, it really will.  I promise.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:20 pm »
I feel much better watching my healthy twins charging around, I shall go show her the lamb before its taken away. Her insides are fairly torn so she will be marked to go, its unfair to breed from her again I feel.

Shall I fit a prolapse to the other ewe anyway, even if its gone back in? She's been lame twice since purchase, so she's already on my maybe going liist. A bad lambing will seal her fate.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »
I know exactly how you feel.  :hug:
 Had to pull a big, back feet first lamb last week.  It lived about 10 minutes but I could see there was nothing I could do for it.  I left it with the mum and next afternoon my neighbour brought a spare lamb, skinned the dead one and dressed the foster.  Straight away the ewe started talking to it and accepted it completely.  It really did help her.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »
Awww, I'm sorry to read this Jamie. You did all you could though, and you didn't dally about calling the vet either, and that's a good thing. Chin up, it will get better  :bouquet: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »
So sorry  :bouquet: heartbreaking. As feisty  said not all bad news it will get better  :thumbsup:

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »
Poor ewe isn't interested in doing much, is it a bad idea to try adopt other on?. She still seems sore.

Ewe prolapsing has a spoon in and is in on her own so fingers crossed!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
 Keep up the AB  and pain killer ,  if shes really  poorly then  she may not want or be able to take a lamb , she needs time .      You have suf x mule  ewe lambs  yes ??   can I ask how much  food their getting   grass , buckets , nuts ??

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 07:25:15 pm »
For you Jamie12 :hug:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »
Dont worry too much, it happens to everybody  :)

You could try giving her another lamb and just see how she goes, if she doesnt want it then just rear it  :thumbsup:

You did start with a flock of ewe lambs, wich are bound to have more problems than experienced ewes, so dont worry too much if you have more problems this year and next year you are bound to have less  :thumbsup:

I had 16 ewe lambs to the tup this year, 11 got in lamb and the mule ewe lambs have been fantastic, the charollais cross ewe lambs have been alot of trouble though, I just have some nice fat charollais culls for market next week so always a brightside  :thumbsup:

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »
The highs of lambing are euphoric and the lows are real lows. You re right to focus on your 2 healthy twins, which won't fail to make you smile. Then put it behind you, learn anything you can take from it, and focus on the ones yet to come where you can still make a difference. In my experience it feels pretty rubbish until the next healthy birth, when things start to feel better. How many more do you have to go?

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:15 am »
Ewes were in a large field but of poor quality grass, hay wasn't introduced until they came inside. They went inside on the 14th of march, split into twins and singles. Singles are getting just over half a bucket between 18 split twice daily, twins are getting half a bucket split twice daily on the advice of a local Shepherd. Access to water at all times.

Ewe died this morning, relieved as she is no longer suffering, but kicking myself as I'd contemplated having her shot yesterday when the lamb was collected. At work I have no issues with deciding there and then what to try to save or put it out its misery as quickly as possible.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:33:01 am »
 :hug:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:56 am »
Don't best yourself up. I had similar problem a few years ago, ewe got gangrene in end due to bad vet and helper (long story) but if she hadn't died I would have advised thinking about shooting. Learn from it and focus on the happy lambs as you can't change anything.

Ref prolapse, if it helps I have a ewe who has a vaginal prolapse and it seems to be linked to when she is having triplets. I got a harness ready to put on but the lambs must have moved and it happened less and less. I made it through the last 3 weeks without interfering and then she had a healthy set of triplets. Another ewe did similar in previous years but no problem when only twins.

Someone told me that putting harness on can encourage them to push and make it worse but I think it has to come down to watching them and making decision based on common sense and gut feel plus what you feel more comfortabLe with. You will debate over things, try something, then depending on result do same as in or try something else. It is a steep learning curve looking after sheep.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:51 am »
You did your best, my dear and no-one can do more. Sheep, as anything under your care, can be a heartache as well as a joy. :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS