Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: castrating lambs  (Read 12568 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: castrating lambs
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 07:22:10 am »
That's the one Sally!  Mum is busy teaching her children that people are scary and must be run away from (which is fair enough when I have an elastrator in my hand - I'd run too!).

I did try coaxing the testes down but only managed it with one. Will try again this afternoon if it still hasn't learned how to run quicker than me.

please get mrs w to video you chasing the lambs!!!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:42 am »
I've been following this thread quite smugly thinking "I have no boys so I don't have to worry about this".
Had twin boys last night  :-\
Any tips for testes coaxing???  :eyelashes:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »
from my experience of one ! it appears the trick is not to fiddle with the little fellas tackle too much as they tend to retract the balls I got the  ring in position first  and with slight pressure to the abdomen they dropped and then I released the ring.
thankfully most of my ewes are down breeds and will have charollais sired lambs so I wont be castrating them

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 03:39:34 pm »
I'm sure Backinwellies wrote up a step-by-step guide on how to do it... anyone got it bookmarked?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:45 pm »
That's the one - thanks, Foobar :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 08:02:48 am »
Magic- thank you!
Wish me luck!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 10:03:28 am »
We "sit" the lambs on a hay bale or a lap (gravity seems to help), use a piece of string to pull tight when the testes are in place.  Check the nipples are free and then use the elastrator - no chance of the little buggers slipping back up while I fiddle around trying to prise the band off!  Then release the string. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:53 pm »
Well, I've caught the little guy every couple of days this week, but chickened out each time because I wasn't convinced I had the b*****ks, the whole b*****ks and nothing but the b*****ks.

Today was day seven, so even though it took three of us and a dozen attempts to catch wee Linford, today was our last chance!

We followed MrsJ's advice, but with a little modification:  One person holds the scrotum with balls inside (wow, am I even writing this?  :roflanim: ), whilst the other ties string around the OUTSIDE of their fingers and pulls tight. That way, you've definitely got them, and can check you haven't also got the wee nipply bits.

Then the ring goes on (very difficult to get it as far down as the string, but we managed it in the end). Could somebody please tell me that this gets easier with practice?  :-\   We've got another three to do at least, and I'm not sure my heart can take it!  :relief:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lowlander

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 11:01:25 pm »
 :o  This thread has convinced me to get the vet to come out and do our new boys so I can see how to do it for the future. He's a sheep man with his own flock so hopefully will be pretty competent! 

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:30 am »
I cheated with my 2 boys, vet was here to do a horse vac and she kindly did them for me, I held the lambs and she popped the ring on. She made it look very easy of course.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS