Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 145/158 Massey  (Read 7492 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
145/158 Massey
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:48:54 pm »
Hi all.
Thinking of buying a small tractor. Has anyone got any experience of the Massey Ferguson 145 or 158? Thanks for any info.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: 145/158 Massey
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »
Where have you seen these ? I think they must be French ...normally in Britain you have 135 or 148, these are fine tractors...not sure about the nos you mention but it's likely they are very similar...with common parts, if so crack on.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:52:52 pm »
thanks I think I needed to here the words crack on,
and yes we are in france.
there is so much choice, I had originally thought 4x4
was a good idea but after reading some other posts
possibly 2wd is fine.
I am going to mostly using it for topping, harrowing moving rocks
about and some forestry work. I have visions of a square baler too
one day. may be a pto winch?
here is a link http://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_agricole/767120144.htm?ca=6_s
what do you think.?
I am not a tracker expert but it looks good.
what sort of thing should I be asking my self or the dealer?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:00:52 pm »
 I've done a bit more research on google and yes it is a French orchard version of the infamous 135. Cruitially it has the same perkins a3.152 engine which is a great engine and more or less bomb proof. It's an ideal small holders tractor, topping and harrowing well within its capabilities.  Buy your self a tipping rear link box for movingly those heavy rocks around,  you'll be able to roll  them in the back box, then tip them out where you want. It will drive a traditional small square baler no problem, and indeed a 5'6" drum mower and haybob.  I've no experience of winches but they are available for this size of tractor.

Because these tractors are so good and so popular they hold there value, it's a bit like money in a savings account...you'll never wear it out and will probably always be worth what you paid for it.

Tractor looks tidy in photos, looks like it's been refurbished/ re sprayed...how many hours has it done ?  Any details of engine rebuilds ? 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:02:46 pm by stufe35 »

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:40:34 pm »
thank you stufe35
went to see it yesterday, and had a drive about.
3 point linkage going up and down, starts first time.
tires on one side a bit rough.
it has had a spray here and there, and looks generally like
filters have been changed, plus new alternator.
seemed smooth enough to drive about. and I think well cared for.
the bad bits...
The radiator looks a bit rough,
There was a problem at the start when the right brake kept jamming on
then seemed ok then did it again on reversing a bit later.
the guy didn't seem too worried but said they need adjusting? or balancing with other one not quite sure. he had a strong accent.

there was a small diesel leek, no history apart from the guy went to heaven and his wife sold it. who knows? but highly likely around here.
the hours..humm well read 0500,0 so I am guessing it just goes round and round.?
also had a crack in the glass hours reader. the guy said 1967 I think.
only later realized I should have looked at the serial number to get the age.

any thoughts

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:38:37 pm »
Do you know....Has it been re sprayed recently ie at this dealers , or was it done up by the old chap at some point ?

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
I think possibly a bit of both, the rear mud guards look new or newly sprayed
and the seat is new, I would think the garage has licence plated it, the under carriage
didn't look newly sprayed, but had been at some point since 1970! I think the silver bits were all newly sprayed. so at a guess the garage.
and I think the chassis was a slightly different colour from where the dials are ie, sun fade so not sure if that's new. why?.

there was a 158 that had, had a complete engine overhaul but I  think they got
the 145 about three weeks ago and changed the usual and tarted it up a bit.
the guy who runs the garage wasn't there just the tec.. he was very helpful I'll phone tomorrow with questions.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:33:19 pm »
I was just trying to rationalise that if the old chap did it up a few years back he might have put a new clock on and it's done 500 hours since, and that would explain the fresh but not new paint.

It could have done 10500 hours or it might be just a random number on a broken clock !

It's really hard to make a judgement without seeing it in the flesh and as for price I've no idea what the markets like over there.  (What is it in £ ?)

The brakes on them are just a simple drum arrangement, it's probably the linkage rods that are a bit stiff, probably a bit of lubrication and adjustment should solve it.

Are they offering to sort out the little niggles...brakes ,diesel leak etc. ?

It appears from the photos a well looked after tractor....with years left in it used in the smallholding environment. Being a massey parts should you need them are cheap and readily available.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:21 pm »
Hi well...

guy dropped price a bit about 3300 in pounds and will deliver it next Friday
after fixing the glitches.  :thumbsup:after talking to him it turns out they the garage renovated the engine two years ago
and sold it to the last owner, who passed on, and who's wife sold it back the garage.
so two years 0500.0 could be possible.?or it is just broken!
who knows, but we are now or nearly the new owners....
very exciting, and i am sure will become a loved essential very quickly.
just to say thanks very much for your input it really helped to get another opinion.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:28:04 am »
Great stuff, there's nothing better than a new toy to look forward to, and I don't think you'll go far wrong with this machine.  Price seems very similar to uk values.

Now you just have to gather up all those bits to attach to the back.....more fun !

I cannot see the link anymore so he's already removed it from the web site.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:29 pm »
we will need piccies  ;D good luck with the new toy, i mean tool ... :thumbsup:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 07:04:17 pm »
So you must have it by now...how's it going ?  Any pics in action ?!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS