Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Geese eggs for sale Angus Glens  (Read 12541 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Shetland Geese eggs for sale Angus Glens
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:46:30 pm »
My lovely shetland geese always lay more eggs than they can sit on. I have six at the moment but more soon - if you would like to incubate some eggs or have a patient broody (these eggs can take 5 weeks to hatch) please come and get some. As the breed is really very rare it would be great to see some more small flocks started.I am charging £4 each as they are rare and i wouldn't want to see them making a cheap tea  ;D
PM me and i'll give you my telephone no.

kirsty

Jan and Dave

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Aberdeenshire, UK
Re: Shetland Geese eggs for sale Angus Glens
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:09:21 pm »
Hi,
We have been looking for someone with Shetland Geese for quite a while, and are certainly interested in the possibilities.  Unfortunately we don't own an incubator ourselves and there is no sign of any of our chickens going broody at present.  However if we can get some fertile eggs we can chase round all the people we know locally.
Although we are based near Fraserburgh, we are quite happy to travel to get the right stock.

Can you let us know if the eggs are still available?
Thanks
Jan and Dave
01346 582 330

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:17:05 am »
Jan and Dave we are near Huntly and I'd also be interested in some eggs. Maybe we could come to an arrangement where you could collect them and we could incubate them? Let me know if that might be an option.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:40 am »
I'm interested too - tried to get some when we were in Shetland in 2000, without luck.

I don't have an incubator, but if any of my hens go broody, which they are likely to, can I get in touch and see if you have any eggs still.  How long do they go on laying into the year?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Jan and Dave

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Aberdeenshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:03:50 pm »
Hi all,
a spot of collaboration looks like it could pay dividends all round. 
Any idea how many eggs are likely to be available and what the success rate of hatching might be?
Would there be enough to keep all three of us happy, and establish some more small flocks?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »
I would be interested in some too, did you get the birds from glen Isla by any chance?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »
I'm interested too - tried to get some when we were in Shetland in 2000, without luck.

I don't have an incubator, but if any of my hens go broody, which they are likely to, can I get in touch and see if you have any eggs still.  How long do they go on laying into the year?

I have an incubator you could borrow if you wish, will be free next week.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:02 pm »
Oh what a kind offer lord Flynn.  I think I would be too scared to use one though, especially with such precious goose eggs.  I wouldn't have anywhere to keep the goslings warm afterwards either.  I would rather wait until a hen is broody - they usually start around now. But thank you so much  :sunshine:
Also, thinking about it, will have to wait until after lambing finishes at the end of April to get up to Marigold's - daren't leave flock for more than a couple of hours.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sadlerfamily2010

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »
Hello, (and hello everyone)

I am completely new to this (and pretty useless with technology!) but if you have any goose eggs available still I would be really interested in purchasing and incubating them. I have been searching for quite some time for this particular breed as they seem incredibly rare in England and stumbled across this website quite by accident.

Please can you send me a personal message as it will not let me send you one to you at the moment (although it may well be me doing something wrong).

Thank you

Charlotte

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »
Did any of the collaborative efforts pay off?

glenisla geese

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:25 pm »
If anyone is looking for Shetland Geese, we have spent the last 3 years building up a breeding flock and we are now able to offer goslings for sale. These are an extremely rare breed, but lovely characters.  They are less aggressive than most geese, also not as noisy.  It's really important to get this breed back from the brink and get as many people as possible involved in breeding so we will only sell goslings in unrelated pairs.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »
how much for a pair please? A neighbour was looking for some.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »
I would love some eggs but am way down in Devon. I will search for a breeder down this way.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 03:47:14 pm »
Hi glenisla geese and welcome :wave:

I got my geese from you last year with some shetland ducks
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

glenisla geese

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 05:49:44 pm »
Thanks for all the interest -it's great to know so many people are keen on geese.

Our Shetland Geese are so rare it has been quite a journey to get to this point - hence the goslings are £100 each (but they will only go in unrelated pairs so £200 for a pair).  We do have a couple of pairs of breeding 2 year olds - they are £300 for a pair.

We also breed West of England and Pilgrim Geese.  These breeds, although also rare, are not as critical as the Shetlands, and we have a few of each of these for sale again this year and these are £80 per pair.

Eggs may be available from March to May next year.

All our geese are rung with British Waterfowl Association (BWA) rings so we can track individual breeding lines.  Our Shetland Geese were at the Smallholders Festival in Lanark in 2013.

We know this is a big outlay for people, but worth it to be part of the Shetland Goose revival.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS