Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another Newbie... must be spring!  (Read 2048 times)

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
Another Newbie... must be spring!
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:46 pm »
Hi there

My partner and myself bought a lovely cottage and 2 hectares near Pontardawe in South Wales late last year, and are learning a lot as we try to come to terms with our investment.

We're both still working and that isn't likely to change - nor is the number of daft questions I have that I may inflict on this forum :) So please be kind and I'll do my best to at least provide some moral support until I feel confident enough in my knowledge to chip in to answers.

Looking forward already!
Alex (and Cath)

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: Another Newbie... must be spring!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:01 am »
 :wave:
Hello there Alex and Cath

I'm over in Abergavenny, SE Wales and a relative newbie - two years in with vegetables, fruit, chickens and pigs.
Do you have some things you know you want to do or still at the planning and considering stage?
MarthaR

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:24:33 am »
Hello from Devon :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:41 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire.

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:53:13 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for making us feel welcome.

We are still at the planning stage at the moment, but hens / ducks are round the corner (small numbers) and I see goats in our future... I think we may be a bit to soft on top to have pigs without them creating a swamp :)

We have one small polytunnel and plans for a slightly larger one - but our next job really I think could be planting an acre of willow before the end of April. Does anyone have a link to a good guide for this? I've been researching options and would rather not be spending the couple of grand that the 'kit' websites are asking, and wonder if it's possible to use baling plastic rather than the expensive groundcover sheets.

So many questions!
Alex

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:19 pm »
Hi and Welcome to the group,
Our local tree planting group put newspaper down then sacking on top, tucked in round the edges with a spade.
Sacking came from a packaging mill, comes from sacks coffee etc was imported in (smelled(sp?) lovely). that may give you some ideas anyway, even If you can't get the sacking. Maybe grass mowings on top of the newspaper? local people give the group newspapers when there is a planting session in the area.

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:15:59 pm »
Thanks hillbilly, with the amount we want to plant (and the weather up here) I'm not sure this would be a complete solution?

Thanks for everyone's input so far, I think I'll go post something on the more appropriate forum here.

Alex

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:45:33 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 08:45:15 am »
Hi there and welcome to the forum  :wave:
We are in our third year in Carmarthenshire. Things don't always grow as well here so OH has been to a supplier of local fruit trees which we are hoping will be the answer.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS